Questions for the DIY Processors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No hogs to speak of in my hunting area, I was talking about deer, and I let them stay in the ice chest with fresh ice for 3 days.
Here is one lesson I learned. I cut up a deer, put it in the ice chest, poured ice on top and let it set. It was warm outside, and the deer was warm when put in the ice chest. I did not mix the ice with the meat, so by the next day the meat on the bottom spoiled ruining every thing in the ice chest.
Now I make sure and mix the meat with the ice.
Lesson learned the hard way.

okieshooter44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had access to a big deep freeze and an external thermometer to control the temperature would that be a good place to age the meat? Also what temperature would be optimal?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
34 to 36 degrees is what the packing houses use to hang meat.
You don't want it to freeze.
Aging meat is no more than a controlled breakdown of the muscle tissue.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No hogs to speak of in my hunting area, I was talking about deer, and I let them stay in the ice chest with fresh ice for 3 days.
Here is one lesson I learned. I cut up a deer, put it in the ice chest, poured ice on top and let it set. It was warm outside, and the deer was warm when put in the ice chest. I did not mix the ice with the meat, so by the next day the meat on the bottom spoiled ruining every thing in the ice chest.
Now I make sure and mix the meat with the ice.
Lesson learned the hard way.

Yeah we always throw at least one bag in the bottom then mix it up until everything is in there. Shame you lost all that good meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom