Quick question about 1911s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a real 1911, just the Chiappa, a dedicated .22LR version with a fixed barrel.

I know it's only a 1911 by shape, not operation, so I'm curious to find something out.

When I put mine to half-cock and (safety off) pull the trigger, the hammer drops.

Does this happen on real 1911s? I have a hard time believing it does as it seems like quite a safety hazard, but I don't have access to one to test it out.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, on some series 80 type 1911's it does.
Some series 70 types with series 80 compatible parts can do this as well.
I some have 1911's that will drop from half cock & some that will not.
It's not supposed to be a hard enough strike to fire the round.
I can't verify this, as I've never tried to drop the hammer from half cock on a live round.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did just try it with a poor man's snap cap (#4 wall anchor) and there is definitely a pronounced indentation from the half-cock drop position.

Guess that answers my question. :grumble: Seems like a safety issue (but nothing that can't be avoided by exercising basic gun safety).

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did just try it with a poor man's snap cap (#4 wall anchor) and there is definitely a pronounced indentation from the half-cock drop position.

Guess that answers my question. :grumble: Seems like a safety issue (but nothing that can't be avoided by exercising basic gun safety).

right, on plastic, but it's not supposed to be enough to ignite a primer.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, on some series 80 type 1911's it does.
Some series 70 types with series 80 compatible parts can do this as well.
I some have 1911's that will drop from half cock & some that will not.
It's not supposed to be a hard enough strike to fire the round.
I can't verify this, as I've never tried to drop the hammer from half cock on a live round.

ETA: It's actually the series 80 compatible hammer that allows this. The sear hooks are a little different than the series 70. While compatible it does cause the series 70's to drop from half cock. Alot of replacement hammers out are series 80 compatible, so any custom work involving a hammer change could possily result in this.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My stock Colt 80's wont drop from half cock... from what I read ---if it did-- the hammer can't make enough momentum/inertia (you physics majors can correct me) to dent a primer.

Follow the "4 Rules" and it wont be a probem... the half cock notch and thumb safety are on the thing so you can use it during a Cavalry charge 'a-horseback, anyway.

Keep us posted on your Chippy... waffiling between buying one or just get a good conversion slide for my 45's

Latest posts

Top Bottom