Raising gun purchasing age to 21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was Audie Murphy made by the military or did military service simply bring out the inherit bravery and maturity in him?

The military might give some a level of maturity and responsibility but the military is only molding the material it is given. If the material is bad, Military service won't make a difference.

For every Audie Murphy there is a Bergdahl or Bradley "Chelsea" Manning.

Also, not all young men are eligible for military service. And an army of volunteers is more effective than an army of conscripts.

There's always room here for one's opinions. But, there's also room for civil discussion of them as well. I don't agree that for every Audie Murphy there is a Bergdahl or a Manning, not at all. That is simply not true. Courage such as Audie Murphy displayed is indeed rare, and it is partly due to the circumstances in which he found himself and of course, how he reacted. How he reacted is to a large degree how he was trained. The pitiful scum known as Bergdahl and Manning are not so much rare as they are aberrations. I also question your responses on the military as it relates to maturity and responsibility. Are you basing this assumption on personal experience or ...?

In addition, a young person who has successfully been through Basic Training, or Boot Camp, as the case may be, has shown through his or her actions they have at least some level of maturity and the ability to make at least some decent decisions. They have also demonstrated some basic proficiency and safety with weapons. Their peers, on the other hand, may not have had the same life experiences as of yet, particularly appropriate in this discussion as it pertains to the handling of weapons. Now, I don't think we need to raise the age to 21 in order to purchase a weapon, but if it is done by legislative action and if it becomes the law of the land, then yes, I'd like to see the caveat applied to let those under the age of 21 with basic or boot camp behind them have that right.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's always room here for one's opinions. But, there's also room for civil discussion of them as well. I don't agree that for every Audie Murphy there is a Bergdahl or a Manning, not at all. That is simply not true. Courage such as Audie Murphy displayed is indeed rare, and it is partly due to the circumstances in which he found himself and of course, how he reacted. How he reacted is to a large degree how he was trained. The pitiful scum known as Bergdahl and Manning are not so much rare as they are aberrations. I also question your responses on the military as it relates to maturity and responsibility. Are you basing this assumption on personal experience or ...?

In addition, a young person who has successfully been through Basic Training, or Boot Camp, as the case may be, has shown through his or her actions they have at least some level of maturity and the ability to make at least some decent decisions. They have also demonstrated some basic proficiency and safety with weapons. Their peers, on the other hand, may not have had the same life experiences as of yet, particularly appropriate in this discussion as it pertains to the handling of weapons. Now, I don't think we need to raise the age to 21 in order to purchase a weapon, but if it is done by legislative action and if it becomes the law of the land, then yes, I'd like to see the caveat applied to let those under the age of 21 with basic or boot camp behind them have that right.
it is amazing the number of accidental discharges we had in Iraq. Most of them at the clearing barrel.
I saw one kid jump out of the back of a truck with his finger on the trigger of a loaded SAW. He pumped a dozen or so rounds into the ground.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red Herring...

...Stupid liberals forget the law of unintended consequences when trying to pass knee-jerk legislation. :(

How right you are! This brings to mind when New York enacted the famous magazine capacity ban, making many LEOs there instant criminals! Doh!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of it, but I will say, there is a stark difference in young adults 30 years ago, and young adults now. I'll admit, as a late gen-x, I was a retarded asshat when I turned 18. I wasn't been mature enough to own a firearm. 18 year olds today aren't responsible enough to wear condoms or not eat laundry detergent, but there are exceptions.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it is amazing the number of accidental discharges we had in Iraq. Most of them at the clearing barrel.
I saw one kid jump out of the back of a truck with his finger on the trigger of a loaded SAW. He pumped a dozen or so rounds into the ground.

Good grief! Where were his NCO's? I would have had me some asssssssssssssssssssss!

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Once again the right has to do all of the giving. The left will give nothing. No matter how much we give, democrats will just want more.
we have no one to blame but ourselves
www.azquotes.com_picture_quotes_quote_the_government_you_elect1d08dc23528da12b6f1044059e799366.jpg

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good grief! Where were his NCO's? I would have had me some asssssssssssssssssssss!
He was on him in seconds. luckily, no one was hurt. I have heard a lot of talk about locking the guns up so the teacher is not carrying in the classroom. That idea makes me worry more because any handling of a firearm could lead to an accidental discharge.
We actually had someone suggest that we lock the guns away in a central location, which would make the entire reason for having them pointless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom