Walmart raises guns and ammunition purchase age to 21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/walmart-raises-gun-purchase-age-to-21

Walmart said Wednesday it won’t sell guns and ammunition to customers who are under 21 years old, following a similar move by Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Retailers and gun manufacturers are facing calls from gun-control advocates to impose new limits after a gunman killed 17 people in a Parkland, Florida, high school. Dick’s said it will end the sale of “assault-style rifles” in its stores and stop selling all guns to customers under age 21. Federal law prevents citizens under 18 from buying a rifle. The age restriction for handguns is 21.

Walmart previously stopped offering modern sporting rifles, including the AR-15, in 2015. The nation’s largest retailer also doesn’t sell handguns, except in Alaska. Those sales will continue, Walmart said.

The company said it has a process to ensure that its policies are applied to its e-commerce marketplace, where third parties can sell their products. Walmart is removing items that resemble AR-15 rifles, including nonlethal airsoft guns and toys.

“We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms and go beyond federal law by requiring customers to pass a background check before purchasing any firearm,” Walmart said. “Our heritage as a company has always been in serving sportsmen and hunters, and we will continue to do so in a responsible way.”

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the age discrimination lawsuits filed. I don't think the PR dept cleared this one with legal.
You beat me to the punch. I was going to say the same thing. i am far from 18 but was thinking maybe I could get my son over there and a lawsuit going. Discrimination of 2nd amendments big time

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/dicks-sporting-goods-violating-civil-rights-laws

Judge Andrew Napolitano said Dick’s Sporting Goods may be within its legal rights to sell firearms to whomever it chooses to — regardless of age.

The company, one of the nation’s largest sport retailers, said Wednesday it will stop selling assault-style weapons in its stores and will no longer allow a person under the age of 21 to purchase a gun, regardless of what the local laws are.

“We have civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination on certain basis,” Napolitano told FOX Business’ Stuart Varney on “Varney & Co.” “Race, color, creed, gender, and in New Jersey, age.”

Federal law currently protects people age 40 and older, but under some state laws, for example in New Jersey where Dick’s has multiple stores, you cannot be subject to age discrimination if you are more than 18 years old.

“Can they refuse to sell a gun to a person who is immature and is going to harm themselves or others? Absolutely,” the judge said.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if you have any family in NJ 18-20 have them take their GoPro to Wal-Mart or Dick's and try to buy ammo. Then sue. Bam $$$

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lawsuits would be a total non-starter. The Second Amendment restricts the government, not private retailers. Wal*Mart already has policies restricting sales of some items--such as spray paint--based on age. This one will likely have no problem either.

This^^^^^^

It's just like the freedom of speech issue. The government is limited in what it can restrict, but other private entities can rule as they wish. I've been on forums at which politics is not allowed, and if someone attempts to start a political thread or make a political statement in a previously started thread, their "rights" are deleted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom