Random pics & chatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Sounds awesome, the bigs stuff like that are beautifully made for sure.

I have caught a few small sharks before, leopard, sand and one thresher.

I fished with the 80-120 heavy stuff like that when I was younger until a blue marlin in Cabo broke me of ever wanting to try on the big stuff ever again. About 2 hrs into it dripping wet from sweat in the Hot Baja sun and arms so tired they felt like noodles i almost just wanted to cut the line and get unhitched from the damn thing. It was along about that point I realized that for me fishing was supposed to be fun and this quit being so and became more a battle of wills and hard work. I finally landed it, 320lb 11' 2" and promptly retired from bill, tuna or shark fishing. I have no desire to ever again fight a fish that outweighs me or have an International in my hands..

The first yellow one was my first attempt at a diamond. If you look close the last two brown threads are pulled away from the others and slipped. I should have cut them off before I expoxied. It's just an old solid glass Shakespeare bottle blank from the 70s I wanted to put an old skool Zepco 33 on so it will be ok..
Just practicing.
I have an old Heddon Pal Mark IV 6' with wood inserts in the handle I want to do next but I will have to tighten my butt up for that one as it is one rare bird and all class. Plus, I need some more thread colors.
Hopefully someone on the boat recorded that Marlin and it performed many acrobatics trying to throw the hook. My dad was too frugal for an International, we used plain old Penn 9/0 reels. We'd normally tag and release the sharks unless fishing a tournament. Largest we ever boated was an almost 600# Mako.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They won't swarm until it is hot and sunny, bees sense barometric pressure and are actually pretty good weather predictors. May is the beginning of swarms season which typically runs through june then survivability tapers off.

"A swarm in may is worth a bale of hay
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon
A swarm in July ain't worth a fly."
That's a old wives tale. I've caught swarms on cloudy days and thunder in the distance right before a rain.
The first bees to check you out are guard bees and are not drones. Drones cannot sting , I guarantee you the guard bees have stingers if you get near my hives.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully someone on the boat recorded that Marlin and it performed many acrobatics trying to throw the hook. My dad was too frugal for an International, we used plain old Penn 9/0 reels. We'd normally tag and release the sharks unless fishing a tournament. Largest we ever boated was an almost 600# Mako.
That's incredible catching a 600lb Mako. I could just imagine how tuff that would be. They are quite the acrobats themselves.
I used to have an old lighthouse box Penn 9.0 and 12.0 matching set with wood handles but a guy offered me 500 dollars for the pair and I unloaded them on him.

Yea they recorded it . With an axe handle. Ha. Surprisingly this fish didn't acrobat much but kept coming to the top swinging his bill trying to cut the line. He did some major sounding though. If you notice on the ground behind me is another one that was a jumper around 240lb, plus 11 Tuna and 3 baby yellowfin that got used for bait to catch these and you might understand why I retired. I was just one of those magical days in the ocean where everything was going nuts. I even caught some skipjack on a bare hook after they chopped all the feathers of the jig. I think me and my partner boated around an incredible 800lbs that day but he got seasick and couldn't fish much. I will never beat that anyhow.
There was no catch and release as the Mexican captain and deck hand started knocking everything with axe handles before they brought them into the boat. I would have been fine with it but they didn't speak English. I couldn't even bring them back to the US due to USDA and customs regs so I traded them all for 150lb of packaged smoked marlin which I could bring back. Man, If you ever get a chance to eat smoked marlin tacos they are to die for,

Nothing on the sign is correct as I surely didn't catch them on 40# tackle or in an hour.

Marlin.jpg

Last edited:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's incredible catching a 600lb Mako. I could just imagine how tuff that would be. They are quite the acrobats themselves.
I used to have an old lighthouse box Penn 9.0 and 12.0 matching set with wood handles but a guy offered me 500 dollars for the pair and I unloaded them on him.

Yea they recorded it . With an axe handle. Ha. Surprisingly this fish didn't acrobat much but kept coming to the top swinging his bill trying to cut the line. He did some major sounding though. If you notice on the ground behind me is another one that was a jumper around 240lb, plus 11 Tuna and 3 baby yellowfin that got used for bait to catch these and you might understand why I retired. I was just one of those magical days in the ocean where everything was going nuts. I even caught some skipjack on a bare hook after they chopped all the feathers of the jig. I think me and my partner boated around an incredible 800lbs that day but he got seasick and couldn't fish much. I will never beat that anyhow.
There was no catch and release as the Mexican captain and deck hand started knocking everything with axe handles before they brought them into the boat. I would have been fine with it but they didn't speak English. I couldn't even bring them back to the US due to USDA and customs regs so I traded them all for 150lb of packaged smoked marlin which I could bring back. Man, If you ever get a chance to eat smoked marlin tacos they are to die for,

Nothing on the sign is correct as I surely didn't catch them on 40# tackle or in an hour.

View attachment 376841
That Marlin would have made an awesome mount. I like the 31' Bertram in the background and many are still being restored and repowered today.
We'd club the football tuna that we brought into the boat just to get them to calm down to bleed and store.
My White Marlin was hooked throught the mouth and into the eye and refused to jump at all.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Marlin would have made an awesome mount. I like the 31' Bertram in the background and many are still being restored and repowered today.
We'd club the football tuna that we brought into the boat just to get them to calm down to bleed and store.
My White Marlin was hooked

Man, you are a Pro and know your stuff to know the exact length and brand of boat that is. It is the one I chartered and you are correct as I remember opting a little more money to get a few more feet hoping it would help my landlubber buddy deal with the motion vs a 27" Californian which were cheaper to charter. I didn't work, the dummy keep staring at his line straight down in the water while going up and down hard. Ralph!

They have what seems like hundred of old classic Bertrams restored down there.

I thought it handled like a dream compared to my Dad's old 59 clunker 30' Owens wooden boat that bounced like a cork. But hey, it got us there and back and I wouldn't trade for some of those memories out in the Cheaspeake hammering some weakfish and blues

Last edited:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, you are a Pro and know your stuff to know the exact length and brand of boat that is. It is the one I chartered and you are correct as I remember opting a little more money to get a few more feet hoping it would help my landlubber buddy deal with the motion vs a 27" Californian which were cheaper to charter. I didn't work, the dummy keep staring at his line straight down in the water while going up and down hard. Ralph!

They have what seems like hundred of old classic Bertrams restored down there.

I thought it handled like a dream compared to my Dad's old 59 clunker 30' Owens wooden boat that bounced like a cork. But hey, it got us there and back and I wouldn't trade for some of those memories out in the Cheaspeake hammering some weakfish and blues
Wow, you and I have a lot of maritime experience. My dad had a 30’ Luhrs, single screw with an IH 345 marine engine. We fished the bays and offshore Long Island from April first through Thanksgiving; flounder, striped bass, mackerel, shark, tuna, blue fish, fluke, striped bass and cod fish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom