Random stuff you have repaired.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the projects I am working in. It is an Insonia kitchen/mantle 8day clock. My wife picked it up for me at a local antique shop. I am waiting on the chime spring and a pendant nut to arrive, The chime was missing and the pendulum hook was pretty mangled as well. Thinking I am going to have to replace the back of the case because the chime mount holes are pretty wallerd out. Going to try and fill the holes and see if I can keep it all original first.

20220116_093243.jpg
20220208_202809 (2).jpg

The works cleaned up nicely and none of the holes are wallerd and the gear pins are all good . It was pretty dirty, but seems like it was oiled regularly. The works were patented in 1882.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy fixing broken things, as it really is not covered under stuff you have made ,I thought it would be another good interest thread.
I will start off with the Craftsman Barlow knife my Mom sent me a couple months ago. View attachment 250094View attachment 250095The knife is back together after I found a donor knife with broken blades. Had to drill out the front pin because as near as I can tell the original front pin was a rivet??? Could not find how the do the blind rivet and making that seemed a long way to go on a knife that will never be worth anything to anyone but me.
Figured out the leaf spring was broken when I was soaking it to remove the rust which the knife was covered in as you can see from the blades.
Used to repair a 2 billion dollar power plant every day. Worked in Industrial electronic/electrical Maintenace all of my career. The consequence was that I hated repairing things at home. Mechanics car won't start, electricians have half of their outlets that won't work, and so on.
Do and a did enjoy building things though with steel. Several trailers and yard ornaments built with steel, torch, lathes and welders.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will know soon if I repaired my S&W 357 Magnum TALO 7 shot.
Or I mean the Wife's TALO.

I had a restriction or pinch point where the barrel attached to the frame. Typical stuff.

I sent a lot of lead down the barrel today with various grits of lube on the bullets.
If feels so much better now when pushing a soft lead slug down the barrel.

It would go down the barrel smooth then hang up at the frame barrel intersection point.
All my might would not allow that wooden dowel rod in my hand to push it past that point.
Had to use a hammer.

Now many hours later it does not hang up or put the brakes on while I am pushing the slug down the barrel.

I could have sent it to S&W but with all the lost guns in the mail and destroyed packages and the fact
that they told me if they find a problem they will fix it and if no problems then it would cost me.

They may think that is normal since I bet 100% of their revolvers leave their hands with a pinched barrel.
My Ruger Blackhawk was the same way.View attachment 251454
I have a kit that I won on an old hunting magazine contest that doesn't exist anymore. It contained bullets of different grits designed to smooth out newer rough barrels and bring the accuracy back.
Never used it, but it's out in the shop somewhere.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Used to repair a 2 billion dollar power plant every day. Worked in Industrial electronic/electrical Maintenace all of my career. The consequence was that I hated repairing things at home. Mechanics car won't start, electricians have half of their outlets that won't work, and so on.
Do and a did enjoy building things though with steel. Several trailers and yard ornaments built with steel, torch, lathes and welders.
You do not catch me doing much framing and remodeling out side of work so I do understand where your coming from. Tinkering with these things I do in the evening keep me off the gun boards looking for my next gun and out of trouble LOL

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 15-20 weed eaters laying in my garage right now that need a little tinkering, enjoy getting those things running. Nothing better than paying a fella $5 for one that "just wont stay running" and giving it a good cleanup to make it run like new. Have yet to resale one so the wife isn't too fond of my pile of tinkering items.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 15-20 weed eaters laying in my garage right now that need a little tinkering, enjoy getting those things running. Nothing better than paying a fella $5 for one that "just wont stay running" and giving it a good cleanup to make it run like new. Have yet to resale one so the wife isn't too fond of my pile of tinkering items.
Take some of those engines and put them into an RC boat or something.
Guy that used to be our mechanic before passing away had two, two stroke engines in his 4' long RC boat. That thing would scream across the water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom