Reloading equipment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you buy cheap or high quality

• I only buy used reloading equipment

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • new but inexpensive rules

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • buy the best press and cheap dies

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Only the best blue will do

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only had single stage presses. I have used a friends Blue 550 and really liked it. All I know for sure is that after this last 1000 rd of 45 acp I want something that is quicker, and less handle stroke pulls..........single stage is ok for smaller lots but anything over 500 will wear your arm out.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have never had a reason to need any thing other than my Dillon 550. Minimal maintenance and great customer service. I needed them once when I couldnt get it to feed. I called and two minutes later i checked the screw they told me to and the problem was solved.

slide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading about three years ago. Luckily, my brother has been reloading for a lot of years and advised me to buy a dillon. I bought the 550 and have not had one ounce of trouble with it. The support and service from dillon is outstanding. May cost a little more but well worth it.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have only been reloading for about two years. I have a mixture of equipment. I started out with a Lee Turret single press and a Lee turret press, reloading primarily 45 ACP and 38 special. I sold the Lee turret press and bought a Lyman turret press. I still use that press to work up loads. I load 38/357 in volume with a Dillon Square Deal B and 45 ACP and 45 Colt with a Dillon 550B. I still mix and match dies. I use Dillon dies in the 550B for 45 ACP, except that I use a Hornady seating die that has a sliding sleeve that drops down to align the bullet. For 45 Colt in the 550B, I use RCBS carbide pistol dies and a Lee factory crimp die in station 4. I use a combination of Lee, RCBS and Hornady dies in the turret press loading pistol cartridges from 32 to 45. To further mix things up, I use a lot of Trail Boss for the 45 Colt and to drop the powder I use a case-activated Lee powder dispenser in the Dillon 550B. Pretty convoluted, but it all works like a charm. Somewhere down the line, I have tried a couple of Lee progressive presses and been frustrated with the primer systems. The Dillon primer system has worked well as long as it is kept clean.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you'll sell much more powder and primers and make more profit on those than you ever could on presses.

People DO NOT like to pay shipping and hazmat.

Plus... having a stock of powder and primers is as good as money in the bank if not better with the added bonus that the next scare will cause you to sell completely out.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
On the equipment, depends what you're wanting to do.

Low volume, you can get by with single stage presses from any color, or a Lee Turret.

High precision, single stage, any color, or Redding T7 or Forster CoAx

High volume, Dillon or Hornady progressive.

I have three flavors of presses. Lee, RCBS, and Dillon.

The Dillon is night and day above the Lee in many ways, but for someone loading <100 rounds a month, it'd be like driving a Bentley to deliver mail in rural Oklahoma. Likewise, the Lee is a good machine for the money, but for someone loading 1000+ a month, they could probably build a bed of nails and have the same level of satisfaction.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you should handle RCBS and Dillon.
RCBS is good for entry level and low volume experienced loaders both.

the only one in Tulsa with any reloading inventory is Dongs. seems most folks only go there when they have to. one can tie up a HUGE amount of capital in reloading supplies. some which are slow moving.

if it was me stocking, I'd stock the 20% of part numbers that move 80% of the time first. then add the slow moving part numbers later. it's hard to sell from an empty basket.

folks generally like to support local businesses first. don't mind prices being slightly higher for in stock merchandise. but not double. this is where line like Dillon has an advantage. almost NO one sells much below retail. folks expect to pay full retail on Dillon products. Dillon must keep tight control over what their dealers sell $$ Dillon products at.

most buyers are looking for the lowest deals vs seller needs to sell at highest $$ and still have customers. don't fall into the trap of selling too cheap... retailers generally need to make at least a 33.3% profit to stay in business.

some folks have calculated profits wrong and gone out of business. if cost is $100 ... then you need to sell it for $150 to make a 33 1/3% profit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom