Reloading equipment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you buy cheap or high quality

• I only buy used reloading equipment

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • new but inexpensive rules

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • buy the best press and cheap dies

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Only the best blue will do

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my stuff is RCBS. I started with a used Bair C-Press back in 1974 and upgraded (I guess) to an RCBS RockChucker in about 1980 because I kept breaking the handle on my Bair press forming .219 Zipper brass from .30-30 cases. Most of my dies are RCBS, but I have Hornady .35 Remington dies that were on sale from Cabela's. Also still have some Lyman dies ordered from the old Herter's catalog. My scale, powder measure, and case trimmer are RCBS from their AmmoCrafter kit purchased about 1977. My case cleaner is a Vibra-Tec from the late 70'a. I have never seen any Dillon equipment - maybe I need to get out more!

Cedar Creek

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought several new presses, CH Auto Champ, Lyman Spar-T, Lee Turret, but since I got the CH progressive in the early /mid 70's I have gone mostly progressive on pistol cartridges and have bought 6 or 7 used ones, all are old but all work well enough for me. I have never tried a Dillon, would probably like one. What would be nice would be to have a few presses set up to demonstrate whats involved in reloading and how they work and to have Powder and Primers at a reasonable mark up.

You might check with some of the commercial bullet casters, they may want to put some stock in your store on consignment

Most times a press, powder measure and scale are one time purchases but the repeat business is definitely in the components.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reloading supplies/equipment didn't end up being a major part of your business if you can operate with a smaller margin than Dongs or Sports World.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer the Dillon Press (550B), I have Lee and RCBS dies(RCBS dies for 45 acp cause that was all I could find in OKC), I have a "Smart Press" it was given to me as my first press, knowing what I know now I would probably have bought a rock chucker for my single stage and then upgraded to the 550 or 650 after I got more of the hang of it. I like the RCBS carbide dies, I would absolutely recomend stocking the Lee factory crimp dies- it is amazing how much better my rounds feed now...and many of the people I have talked to about pistol rounds use them, but alas those would be slow moving items as well as the presses. I would recommend going to powder valley or your wholesaler for your powder and primers(this would be your best sellers IMHO)......

just my .02, good luck
--Mech

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You'd probably do well having just a dealer "floor model" to demo to people for some common presses, then order the press for them. Maybe only begin to stock the best sellers, then tie up your money in components, since they are a consumable.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'd probably do well having just a dealer "floor model" to demo to people for some common presses, then order the press for them. Maybe only begin to stock the best sellers, then tie up your money in components, since they are a consumable.

I have thought of doing just this but I believe that 1/2 the machine purchases are impulse buys.
Will most likley stick with Horandy for jacketed bullets and local cast for the lead bullets.

The "Prime location" fell through and my backup only has 1000 square foot so I will not have a giant inventory but do want to have a couple of presses set up for demo and teaching.
Dillon quoted me $3K minimun orders for dealer price purchases so that looks like something I will have to work up to.

for components, primers, and power I need to have a variety to choose from but don't want to carry something that doesn't sell.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted that only the best will do however, I usually buy what I think is the best value. If there is option "A" and its $5.00 and option "B" is $7.00 but it has what I would consider benefits that warrant the additional cost, I'll go ahead and pay it. If there was another option that was $25 and was significantly better than the previous two well I guess if I had the money, and the additional features were something I thought I needed, wanted, and/or could handle then I'd probably still buy it.

So $ amount is not all I look at and it is tough to capture it in a simple poll but if there were an option for "best value" that would have been my choice.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it'd be easy to get $3k for initial order up ..... simply do a one time group buy for complete Dillon presses. only disclose prices off-line via telephone. with how expensive Dillon reloading products are, shouldn't be too difficult to reach $3k. then cut it off... make sure everyone knows this is a one time deal that will go away once $3k is reached. that should give incentive to get on board quick.

I have thought of doing just this but I believe that 1/2 the machine purchases are impulse buys.
Will most likley stick with Horandy for jacketed bullets and local cast for the lead bullets.

The "Prime location" fell through and my backup only has 1000 square foot so I will not have a giant inventory but do want to have a couple of presses set up for demo and teaching.
Dillon quoted me $3K minimun orders for dealer price purchases so that looks like something I will have to work up to.

for components, primers, and power I need to have a variety to choose from but don't want to carry something that doesn't sell.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Dillon 650 with a case feeder that I load .308, .45acp,.223, and 300 Whisper. I also have a Dillon Sq.Deal B that I load .380acp,.38 spl,.357 mag.,and 9mm. I use a Lee single stage for forming 300 Whisper brass and a old Texan single stage to deprime crimped brass. I usually buy RCBS dies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom