Reloading manual for complete beginner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never reloaded at all, but really want to get into it. Everyone says to get a manual and read it first so that's what I intend to do. Problem is that there are just so many out there and I don't want to have to spend $200 on books before I find one geared toward my skill level. I plan to start with rifle ammo, .32 Winchester Special to be specific, but if it turns out that I enjoy it, I'll almost certainly start reloading .38 special as well.

any recommendations would be appreciated.

-S

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay. If you know what brand bullets you think you will use most, buy their manual. ie: seirra bullets = seirra manual. Once you start reloading more I would get more books. I compare data from 3 or 4 books if I'm starting a load from scratch.

ETA: you can pick up free reloading manuals from the powder companies at the stores where you buy reloading stuff.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NRA has a good generic manual they use in their reloading class. Anyone can buy it from the NRA online bookstore. A beginner needs to learn the basic principles to stay out of trouble.

Then I like to have a manual from the bullet manufacturer and another manual from the powder manufacturer. After a few decades you'll have a shelf ful of them, too.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my Hornady book, but you'll probably not read anything but the load data after the first few times. You can find all of the info and more online that is in the front of the book. You'll need a book and bass pro sells a lot of Hornady bullets so I'd get that one.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions. Off topic, I would suggest starting on .38 spl, as pistol rounds to me are easier to load. Straight wall, smaller powder charge, and with .38 you can use cast bullets for further savings.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. If you know what brand bullets you think you will use most, buy their manual. ie: seirra bullets = seirra manual.

There's a problem right there. I have no idea what brand I'll be using. I have a lot to learn, and I know it!

NRA has a good generic manual they use in their reloading class. Anyone can buy it from the NRA online bookstore. A beginner needs to learn the basic principles to stay out of trouble.

Thanks for that. I've been doing some research on the topic, but this is the first reference to this book that I've seen. Do you have the title by any chance?

I like my Hornady book, but you'll probably not read anything but the load data after the first few times. You can find all of the info and more online that is in the front of the book. You'll need a book and bass pro sells a lot of Hornady bullets so I'd get that one.

Again, I don't really know what brand of bullets I'll be using. I doubt that I'll be buying them at Bass Pro though. I live in Sapulpa, so I'd rather find a source closer to home. The Hornady book is one that I've been considering though.

Lots of good suggestions. Off topic, I would suggest starting on .38 spl, as pistol rounds to me are easier to load. Straight wall, smaller powder charge, and with .38 you can use cast bullets for further savings.

From what I've read, I'm sure this is a wise suggestion. Except that I've got two full ammo cans of .38 spl, and only 40 rounds of .32 win spl on hand. Add the fact that .32 win spl isn't exactly easy to source, and I'm looking at starting with the rifle rounds. Unless this just seems like a bad idea.

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

-S

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=PB 01779

NRA Guide to Reloading

Description Provides a comprehensive introduction to the practice of reloading, with a strong emphasis upon the development of safe and proper technique. Softcover 155 pages

PB 01779
Price: $9.95

Wow, you're fast! I just found that book on the NRA site and was just about to ask if that was the one you were referring to. Thanks a lot, I'll probably start with that one.

-S

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Speer Manual is what I started with years ago and have purchased a couple of follow-up releases. It's a great manual for beginners and advanced reloaders. I also like the development history and discussion for each cartridge.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee makes one that I think is very good. Also check out the library. Last time I looked they had a couple. And they're free to look at. Find the info you want and copy it

Latest posts

Top Bottom