Reloading Press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with a single stage RCBS, and have gone to the Hornady LNL AP, since getting into pistol competitions.
I've had it for 3 years now, and have been very pleased with the quick change system between calibers.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would give my thumbs up for a lee turret press also. It is easy to use, flexible, and faster than a single stage, not as fast as a progressive. Youtube is chock full of videos about reloading, you can probably find videos of all of different Brands in operation. Lee also has them on their website, the other manufacturers might also.

Are you mechanically inclined, inquisitive and able to figure out how things work? And do you need a lot of ammo in a hurry? If your answer to these two questions is yes, then you might want to strongly consider a progressive.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me what you like about the AP over the Dillons.

For me it came down to features and price. The 550B only has 4 stations. I am a guy who likes to taper crimp my pistol rounds as a separate operation, so I wanted to 5 station capability. The Hornady offers that. The 550B also does not auto index the shell plate like the Hornady. Another feature that I really liked with the Hornady is the L-N-L quick change bushings. It makes caliber changes quick and easy. The last thing I liked about Hornady is its parts availability from multiple vendors. With Dillon, stuff is pretty much only available from Dillon.

I picked up my Hornady for $415 and also received 500 free bullets.

You could step up to the 650 and get more speed at an increased cost, but I find I can only reload for 2-3 hours at a time, before my attention starts to wane and the speed I can reload the Hornady at, is safe and efficient. If I ever decide I need more speed, I could add the case and bullet feeder to the Hornady.

Hornady and Dillon both offer excellent customer service so I rate them equal in that regard.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That extra station on the Hornady also allows for a "powder cop" die, so that one doesn't have to look into each round to make sure there is a powder charge present.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard the "start on a single stage" advice before and that is how I started. It is good advice.

I keep thinking that my Dillon 550 is just a turret that rotates on the bottom if I put one case in and rotate it around by itself. That is what I do to set up the press or adjust the dies. A person can use the 550 just like a turret press. If you were to start with the BL550 until you learn how and only use one case at a time your upgrade to a progressive would be smaller. I have a RCBS rock chucker and a Dillon 550 upgrade to "B" and I just got a Lee hand press. The Lee hand press would be the most basic one available but I don't think it would be great to start with.

Starting with a single stage and getting a progressive later is good too if you keep them both you can get the progressive setup for your most used cartridge and use the single stage on the others until you get the conversions for the progressives. That way you don't have to get all of the conversions at once.

There is very little bad reloading gear. It is about like sex. It is all good and some is better and you will like some that another person doesn't. So get what catches your eye and learn with it. Unlike sex you do have to read the manual.

Latest posts

Top Bottom