Reloading Press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelnc4444

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering getting a reload press and was hoping to get some tips or advice on what type of press and possibly brands. I want a press that can do both rifle and pistol rounds but I am probably only needing a handful of calibers. .223 and 300 BLK for rifle, 9mm and .45 for pistol.

Also, are multiple stage presses really worth the extra money or is a single stage just as good?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most folks recommend a single stage for starting out. Personally, I think something along the lines of a Lee 4-hole turret is just as easy to learn on as a single stage. The first step is ALWAYS get a manual and study it before starting. The Lyman 49th edition or the Lee second edition are both good learning tools. Another good book is "The ABC'S of Reloading" All have information you won't need starting out, such as bullet casting, but if you get bitten hard by the bug, you will go back and read and re-read that stuff too.

In addition to whatever press you decide, you will need a scale and a priming tool. I'd recommend the RCBS balance scale and either the Lee or RCBS hand priming tool. I have both an RCBS and a Lee balance, and don't care much for the Lee. I also have an electronic scale, but only use it for quick measurements, like sorting bullets by weight, or checking my powder dispenser accuracy.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most folks recommend a single stage for starting out. Personally, I think something along the lines of a Lee 4-hole turret is just as easy to learn on as a single stage. The first step is ALWAYS get a manual and study it before starting. The Lyman 49th edition or the Lee second edition are both good learning tools. Another good book is "The ABC'S of Reloading"

This. Knowledge is a must. Read, read, and read again. Ask questions.

I have been reloading for only a few years now, but have loaded .38spc, .357mag, 9MM, 44MAG, 45ACP, 40SW, 223, 308, 300AAC, and now 308 and .243.

I Learned the basics single stage and then went to a dillon progressive (650). At the time I was shooting a lot of pistol so it made since because prices in Hawaii are well, rediculous. Now that I have moved from Hawaii, I am not shooting as much (really need to find IDPA/IPSC group so I can get back into shooting pistol).

Started loading 5.56 on it and now I am loading 308 and .243, but I am not using the full progressive mode. I hand weigh each charge and check every seat depth vice pulling the handle and letting it roll through the normal sequence.

I would say if you are shooting modest amounts per month, a single stage should be fine. Progressives are great, but sometimes I wish I had a single stage again. Lee turrets as suggested above are really great too. May get me another single stage press.

Get a good scale...do not skimp on this part. Trimming set up required for rifle brass.

Read read read!

Let us know if you have questions. The one thing we wont be able to help you with is the reloading bug, once bitten, you are screwed.

Cheers!

-Vood

Latest posts

Top Bottom