Reloading Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a complete beginner, a single stage press is the best to use while you are learning but they are slow. Since you want to load for nine MM and 223, I'm guessing you're going to be shooting a lot. For loading a lot of ammo, can't beat a progressive, but there are lots of things happening at once so it's not the best for a beginner. a turret press is in between. A lee classic cast turret press can be used single stage while you're learning and it also features auto indexing that lets it act like A semi progressive press also. If I knew then what I know now, that's what I would have bought in the first place. And it is cheaper to buy the whole kit at once, includes a powder funnel, scale, and just about everything else

Well said.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For your two calibers, the Dillion 550 is a good place to end up but I really think you can start out by finding an old used Lyman Spar T ot Mag T press. these things are indestructable and have 6 stations to set upyour dies so you never have to change them. Better than a single stage press and yet lets you get in the action for a fraction of the price, and you will always have it for other calibers and load development as you grow in this hobby. My original SparT is 30 years old and has been a keeper in spite of two Dillons! Look for one!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree, if you don't keep cranking the handle then nothing happens faster than you want it to. A single stage will have you committing suicide in short order. They are fine for specialized loads or something non-semi auto, but christ you would be bored out of your mind in short order. The key to reloading is get a good manual...speer or other, read, read and read some more. Don't take anything or any advice without verifying it yourself with your manual. Reloading can be a fun experiance and very fulfilling, just be cautious. btw, 9mm on a single stage sucks, but back in the day there weren't near as many choices.. you can get some .223 done though if you aren't blasting. Single stages can be found used cheap....ebay

the dillon 550 is probably the best choice but I probably wouldn't buy a proggressive till I know for sure I am going to stick with it. check craigslist or just your local friends. someone might give you a single stage press. used presses and dies are fairly cheap..unless it is .380 dies of course.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you are attentive, the progressive vs single stage is a moot issue. By attentive, I mean, if you end up starting with progressive, you scrutinize your every step (ie. checking your powder charge level several times while setting up, and perdiodically during your reloading procees, say every 20-50 rounds at least until you get the hang of it). I use a Dillon rl550b. Its a great press with great customer service. I have been reloading for awhile now, and I still double check my ammo to ensure I dont double charge or no charge a round (bullet + brass + primer and no powder isnt a good thing for your barrel ;)).

Now, all that said, here are some other things to think about. Progressives are more expensive. What happens if you start this hobby, cause it is a hobby, NOT a way to save money (youll just end up spending your savings on other firearm things), and you dont like it? Would you rather have $500-$1000 invested in reloading or $300-$600?

And finally, I can almost guarantee if you get a progressive, youll end up with a single stage as well. My 550b is a workhorse, but my single stage gets just as much work.

So, WhiteyMacD's recommendation: Start with a Single Stage, see if you like it and then think about a progressive.

;)

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good info already on this thread, I am in firm believer in having both a single stage press and a progessive stage press. The single stage is so much easier to learn on and understand the steps and processes to get a proper completed round. Also single stage is best for working up some really nice accuarate rifle rounds. After you squish some .223 out of your single stage you will be much more confident pumping out some 9mm on a progessive press. My recommendations for a single stage press: RCBS Rockchucker, for a progessive: Hornady Lock-n-Load.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at and read a reloading Manual first so you will at least have a good idea of the process and have intelligent questions to ask .If at all possible, spend some time with somebody while they are reloading and observe and ask questions. Watching videos is probably the second best method, there are all kinds of reloading videos on the Internet, youtube has a lot of them, just do a search and see what all you find. There are videos that will show each type of press and how it operates, very useful info. Look at websites at their reloading kits, cabelas, bass pro, Natchez shooters supply, mid south, and midway are some good ones. Reloading is not hard but it does REQUIRE that you pay attention and be able to follow directions.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just a quick tip, no matter which press you go with, titegroup would be a good powder choice for BOTH of those rounds. I use if for both, and am extremely happy with it. sure, you can get better velocity with other powders, but titegroup works with both 9, .223, 40, 45 and 45 colt. very versatile, and the flakes are easily measurable. just a quick tip

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1... single stage is best for a beginner.

only I'd recommend RCBS Master Reloading kit which has top quality components that you will never out grow. saves substantial $$$ over buying separate pieces. comes with everything except dies.

no way around it... reloading is equipment intensive

paramount importance staying focused to avoid life threatening mistakes. always best to set up an area specific to reloading so your gear can stay in one place.

a reloading bench is what most folks end up with.
always start with recommended formula only!
then if desired fine tune with a chrony

PM Stephen Cue to see if he's putting on another reloading class anytime soon.

For a complete beginner, a single stage press is the best to use while you are learning but they are slow. Since you want to load for nine MM and 223, I'm guessing you're going to be shooting a lot. For loading a lot of ammo, can't beat a progressive, but there are lots of things happening at once so it's not the best for a beginner. a turret press is in between. A lee classic cast turret press can be used single stage while you're learning and it also features auto indexing that lets it act like A semi progressive press also. If I knew then what I know now, that's what I would have bought in the first place. And it is cheaper to buy the whole kit at once, includes a powder funnel, scale, and just about everything else

Latest posts

Top Bottom