Retiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A week ago today while at our yearly vacation pick meeting at work a friend ask me if I had looked at my retire fund lately ? I said no I hardly ever look at that stuff. He said you should ,the one rate that affects our retirement fund was way down which means you get more if you retire when it is low. So I got on the computer and ran a retirement estimation. It looked really good, so I set up a meeting with a finance person uptown. She looked at all our debt (which is very little) and our assets. She said you can retire anytime you like, you are in good shape. I said I guess I'd better go now while that one rate was low. A week ago I had no idea I was retiring. I had planned on working about another three or four years or at least to April 7th which would give me 40 years in the refinery. I like the work I do and most of the people I work with. The one thing I'm ( and many others ) tired is the chickenshit management we have now. I had always heard that P66 was a bad company to work for and I believe it now. This is going to be a big life changing event for me . I've only been out of work for a couple of months one since I was 15 years old. It's really going to take some getting used to. At least I'll have time to get to the range more often. Jan. 1 I'm unemployed.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 54 but a bunch of guys I visit with at work have recently retired or are going to soon. Can’t say I’m not a little jealous, Jakeman. Enjoy it!

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Congrats with a word of caution. I was also sick and tired of upper management and the way the company was going so I retired when I became eligible. I rode a motorcycle around the country for a couple of years and had a great time. I volunteered for the Red Cross for a while until I realized how dysfunctional they were. I play a lot of golf, shoot some, and stay involved in grandkids activities now. Days can get really long if you are used to working since you were 15 like I was too. Hope you enjoy retirement, just be sure you’re ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your retirement.

I figured that I'd work at least till I turned 66 or maybe a little longer but after looking at things again and seeing that we'd be alright I pulled the plug right at nine months from my 66th birthday on 4-1-2015.

I like doing things outside and I'll admit to sometimes getting a little bored in the winter months (ie cabin fever) but I'm still glad I retired when I did.

The wife retired a little over two years after me in 8-2017 and prior to her retiring I was a little concerned that even though we've been together over 43 years that we'd start getting on each others nerves being around one another pretty much 24/7/365 but thankfully that has not proven to be a problem.

Last edited:

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired 11 years ago. At first it was aweful. Boring nothing to do. Then the wife threatened me, do something or she would find something to do for me. Well I started puttering, and then doing. I didn't work, I did activities. As things go along I got more and more active until now it is necessary for use to have a schedule book to keep track of things. Grand kids school plays, deer hunting trips, planninf on doing a cruise in January. Looking at another cruise in March then turkey hunting.

Change the way you do things. In the past to get ready for hunting season meant running out the range for a couple of hours sighting guns in. This year in retired status we went to the range 4 times and spent the whole morning each time. Test several different guns we always wanted to try. Decided to buy the wife her own gun so that meant going gun shopping. Several shops visited and finally. Had to fit the but pad, mount the scope and back to the range for sight in. In my working days there would have never been time for all that.

No retirement is not for the weak. Busy all the time. I wonder how I ever found time to have a job.

Happy retirement, enjoy! Your earned it.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats! You will adjust. It may take a little while, but you'll figure it out. I retired at 62, and I'm glad I did. It was tough, especially until we turned 65 so we could get on Medicare, but we made it. I bet you'll find enough 'activities' to occupy your time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom