Anyone else getting a flu shot ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven’t had one since’74 or’75. Have gotten the flu maybe 7 times in all those years. I take some otc meds when I do get it. It runs its course and I’m good to go again. So NO!!!! Didn’t take any of the COVID shots either.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I have had the flu was when I took the vaccine. And you Dr. type can go on, you are just buying into selling all those meds. Had a friend about my age that was as healthy as could be, took the covid shot and 3 days later they found her dead. My body has fought off some of the worst things on its on. Eat right, exercise, take vitamins and trust in the Lord.
So no skepticism for vitamin manufacturers?

JamesBell

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I see a thread like this on a forum somebody says something about doctors just selling the vaccines, getting rich off the vaccines, getting paid for the vaccines. My bride is a doctor and I want to know where we go to pick up the checks. Everyone is so convinced she’s getting paid for the vaccine but nobody can ever tell me where to collect the money.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I see a thread like this on a forum somebody says something about doctors just selling the vaccines, getting rich off the vaccines, getting paid for the vaccines. My bride is a doctor and I want to know where we go to pick up the checks. Everyone is so convinced she’s getting paid for the vaccine but nobody can ever tell me where to collect the money.
She is obviously hiding it from you then. You should really get all your news and medical advice from a gun forum. 😂

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. The annual planning for the flu is an educated guess as to which variants will be circulating for the upcoming future flu season. So, the effectiveness will vary year to year based on which variants they include in the shot.
You can get the shot but only get partial coverage. Or you can get the shot where they guess right, but that doesn’t mean the shot will protect 100%. You can get a milder case of the flu instead of a severe case of the flu (without the shot). I think the stats are around 40-60% effective against the flu.
What makes me curious about is why, if the flu virus continues to mutate year after year which requires a new vaccine each year to spur your immune system into making different anti-bodies to fight that particular strain of flu, then why doesn't other viruses like measles or chicken pox also require yearly vaccines to prevent getting the new strain of measles or chicken pox from viruses that should also be constantly mutating?

Or can anyone tell me why only the flu and Covid-19 viruses seem to mutate whereas no other virus does?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What makes me curious about is why, if the flu virus continues to mutate year after year which requires a new vaccine each year to spur your immune system into making different anti-bodies to fight that particular strain of flu, then why doesn't other viruses like measles or chicken pox also require yearly vaccines to prevent getting the new strain of measles or chicken pox from viruses that should also be constantly mutating?

Or can anyone tell me why only the flu and Covid-19 viruses seem to mutate whereas no other virus does?

You probably just need to do some reading, it's probably much easier than someone posting an entire semester's worth of microbiology information.

Your last statement is an erroneous one, all viruses can mutate, some just do so at different rates due to the nature of their genetic makeup.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Measles and polio are called “static“ viruses, whereas influenza is not & mutates regularly. It’s in a family of viruses. So the vaccine for flu has to change. It’s an interesting subject, but requires a lot of research to appreciate the complexity of it. Something not usually done during Bedlam Saturday. More Interested in keeping the beer cold😁.
Also, making guacamole

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I’d have to dig for the quotes, but one reason is that while all viruses mutate to some degree, some viruses (like measles, iirc) can’t mutate in stable ways. The part of them that makes humans susceptible are integral to its survival, so if it mutates it can’t survive and therefore doesn’t get transmitted.

In flu, it’s different.

But again, that is an overly simplified explanation.

Also, more than just those two mutate. Heck, the common cold mutates often I think. It’s just that some are more deadly than others, mutate in stable ways, and thus draw more attention.

Edited to add: from what I remember Ebola is an example of a virus that gets a lot of attention and mutates (though again, all viruses mutate). It just also happens to kill the host so fast that it’s hard to spread. Being highly deadly works against the virus’ survival in that case, making it harder to spread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom