Retiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont reccomend retiring on your savings hoping it will last as long as you do. You should retire on the Interest earned from savings. Mine will be a 7 number figure (thats my target and its happening) a million dollars in a good growth stock mutual S&P fund earning an "average" of 12%, compounded annually (easy to find) is earning an average of $120,000 annually. I'll be able to pull "100k out if I wish, and leave $20k each year which continues to feed the golden goose so it never dies. Then it goes to my wife or grandkids when I die. And those grandkids will be taught to manage that money so it lives on to see their grand kids, etc. I can live nicely on $100k plus my state pension of about $40k. My insurance will cost $400 out of my pocket so that isn't too bad at all.
And DO NOT go without health insurance. Had I not had it the last 2 years I'd be bankrupt. Easily close to a million dollars I've racked up in hospitals.
I dont reccomend retiring on your savings hoping it will last as long as you do. You should retire on the Interest earned from savings. Mine will be a 7 number figure (thats my target and its happening) a million dollars in a good growth stock mutual S&P fund earning an "average" of 12%, compounded annually (easy to find) is earning an average of $120,000 annually. I'll be able to pull "100k out if I wish, and leave $20k each year which continues to feed the golden goose so it never dies. Then it goes to my wife or grandkids when I die. And those grandkids will be taught to manage that money so it lives on to see their grand kids, etc. I can live nicely on $100k plus my state pension of about $40k. My insurance will cost $400 out of my pocket so that isn't too bad at all.
And DO NOT go without health insurance. Had I not had it the last 2 years I'd be bankrupt. Easily close to a million dollars I've racked up in hospitals.

Good point on the insurance. Sounds like you have some strong numbers to work with on your plan. That’s great and it’s clearly taken patience, planning and sacrifice. I listen to a lot of financial people and have become quite the student of finance outside of work and firearms. The number I’ve heard pushed lately should look like 3.5-3.75% of total investment taken as income before taxes as a withdraw point if you don’t want to eat up principle and wish to leave something behind. The factor comes from an average semi-conservative rate of return of 8ish %, less 4% being eaten up by inflation. Really, to “grow” your principle your rate or return should be around 10-12%, but there are a number of years that is hard to achieve, maybe not this year though.
Definitely recommend to those that have not, to reach out and connect with a financial advisor. Those that are versed can really help navigate some of the financial rules/laws, taxes and investments. Yes, the cost $ but a great one should net you many times over what you pay. Recommend checking out your RIQ with Chris Hogan or looking up your local smartvestor pro on Dave Ramsey.com. They are tons of good podcasts out there too.
If you don’t manage your money, it’ll manage you. Also, if you’re local to Tulsa or OKC and would like a personal recommendation, please pm me and I can send some contacts.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats as those are nice accomplishments......

At retirement age and older however, I'm betting you will think twice about being heavily invested in the stock market...... It definitely weighs on my mind!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats as those are nice accomplishments......

At retirement age and older however, I'm betting you will think twice about being heavily invested in the stock market...... It definitely weighs on my mind!
Not really hard to accomplish. The average car payment in america is $504 today. Instead of driving lavish cars, if one puts $500 a month in a GGSMF earning 12% for 20 years, they'll be worth over 3 million. Enjoy your 3 million dollar car LOL. I jest. But its true.
Tell me why I wont want to be invested then? Please.

Edited, added the 12 to the % lol Damn This keyboard doesnt work with the 1 and 2 buttons unless ya hit em with a hammer.

Last edited:

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really hard to accomplish. The average car payment in america is $504 today. Instead of driving lavish cars, if one puts $500 a month in a GGSMF earning % for 20 years, they'll be worth over 3 million. Enjoy your 3 million dollar car LOL. I jest. But its true.
Tell me why I wont want to be invested then? Please.

No no, not saying one shouldn't be invested........... I'm just saying at retirement age and beyond,,,,,,one tends to think in a more conservative way as opposed to being heavy in the stocks and mutual funds.......... Agreed,,,,,,, bonds and cd's aren't getting anywhere the returns of stocks,,,,,,,, but when you're older and can't recoup those stock market losses----one tends to sleep better when in a more conservative position......... Congrats to you on your successes !

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No no, not saying one shouldn't be invested........... I'm just saying at retirement age and beyond,,,,,,one tends to think in a more conservative way as opposed to being heavy in the stocks and mutual funds.......... Agreed,,,,,,, bonds and cd's aren't getting anywhere the returns of stocks,,,,,,,, but when you're older and can't recoup those stock market losses----one tends to sleep better when in a more conservative position......... Congrats to you on your successes !
In the history of the stock market, those dips usualy dont last more than 5 years, with a couple exceptions and even then, the stocks are not completely flat. If the return is only 3% for a couple years I think I'll still be living large on $70k income that year.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be wrong but history says I'll beat the odds. lol
Besides, I may not need much money by the time I hit, say 70...the most expensive thing I'll be doing wont be nice airplane trips to Europe, more like an Uber to the domino hall followed by an Uber trip to GC to have lunch with @RickN lol

Last edited:

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats a good number $ for a person that wants out at 58? I'm talking net after tax.

Hard to answer that question. But, I would highly recommend Early Retirement dot org (online forum) and Boggleheads forum. Lots of great information out there from some pretty smart folks.

Oh, and for Christ's sake...stay AWAY from Edward Jones. If you need a financial advisor, get one that is a flat fee ONLY.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The number I’ve heard pushed lately should look like 3.5-3.75% of total investment taken as income before taxes as a withdraw point if you don’t want to eat up principle and wish to leave something behind.

The number has been updated to closer to 4-4.5% after some good back testing. I would also recommend that folks take a look at the FIRE calculator. It's very through and does a good job of helping you assess where you stand. https://www.firecalc.com/

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong but history says I'll beat the odds. lol
Besides, I may not need much money by the time I hit, say 70...the most expensive thing I'll be doing wont be trips nice airplane trips to Europe, more like an Uber to the domino hall followed by an Uber trip to GC to have lunch with @RickN lol

You buying??? :P :P :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom