Rod stuck in ground. What is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this rod sticking up out of the ground on our property when we first bought our land last February. We are about half way between Bristow and Drumright, OK, so a hotspot for oil back in the day. Our neighbor who's 90 year old mom still lived on the property next to ours said our land and surrounding part of Creek County near Drumright hand lots of camps of oil field workers and some that were on our tract of land back in the 19-teens.

I'm assuming this must be some sort of relic from the oil boom in the area. The main shaft that goes into the dirt has three flat sides and one convex side to it and about 1.5" wide on each side. Top portion is threaded. You kick it and its solid. Must be down quite a ways. Probably got stuck in some rock and the worker couldn't fee it up so left it stuck there?

Anyone know more about this stuff than I and can give some indication as to what this may be as I'm only speculating? Sort of a cool feature.

Rod 1.jpg
Rod 2.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn’t appear to be a deadman unless there are three or four more spaced around 50’ apart. Deadmen are used to support a drilling or pulling rig with cables and are typically left in place but marked in active drilling/pump jack locations.
It appears to have threads on top? If so, that could have been where an eye was attached for a cable?
If it is a deadman, perhaps it was left because it was jammed and couldn’t be removed?

Latest posts

Top Bottom