Romney's VP choices.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know if this is expanded enough

Code:
M  i  t  t     i  s     n  o  t     t  h  e     n  o  m  i  n  e  e     y  e  t

I suppose... Technically

That said: Some of you guys live in a world with pink skies and blue bunnies. You must to hang on to a belief that someone else will take it away from him.

Romney is for all practical purposes the nominee. He has the delegates to take it in one vote. To the best of my knowledge delegates to a party's candidate who won the state are required by all states to vote for their state's winner on the first ballot.

Barring the intervention of God or the Devil - Romney's IT! I don't like it any better than y'all. We don't have to like it. We do have to deal with it - if for no other reason than plain ole peace of mind.

C

Clay

To the best of my knowledge delegates to a party's candidate who won the state are required by all states to vote for their state's winner on the first ballot.
From what I have been learning about the process, this is NOT correct. Some or all of those Mitt delegates could flip at the RNC. I'll dig up the articles on that in a bit.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clay, that whole primary scharade was about as obvious as it gets that the whole thing is fixed. Breaking their own rules? They have no rules. I can't believe people still believe in the entire electoral process hoax.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose... Technically

That said: Some of you guys live in a world with pink skies and blue bunnies. You must to hang on to a belief that someone else will take it away from him.

Romney is for all practical purposes the nominee. He has the delegates to take it in one vote. To the best of my knowledge delegates to a party's candidate who won the state are required by all states to vote for their state's winner on the first ballot.

Barring the intervention of God or the Devil - Romney's IT! I don't like it any better than y'all. We don't have to like it. We do have to deal with it - if for no other reason than plain ole peace of mind.
I think that is up to each individual state and several do NOT bind their delegates to any one candidate on the first vote.

I'm no expert though. I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

C

Clay

second paragraph...I know, its wiki but there are other sorces that say the same
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

The voters of each state, and the District of Columbia, vote for electors to be the authorized constitutional participants in a presidential election. In early U.S. history, some state laws delegated the choice of electors to the state legislature. Electors are free to vote for anyone eligible to be President, but in practice pledge to vote for specific candidates and voters cast ballots for favored presidential and vice presidential candidates by voting for correspondingly pledged electors.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clay, What do you think those primaries were about? Romney's delegates are pledged to vote for him in the early balloting, which means there won't be any late balloting. Brokered conventions are a thing of the past, and if your candidate had recieved the most votes in the caucuses and primaries, I suspect that's the way you'd want it.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
second paragraph...I know, its wiki but there are other sorces that say the same
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

The voters of each state, and the District of Columbia, vote for electors to be the authorized constitutional participants in a presidential election. In early U.S. history, some state laws delegated the choice of electors to the state legislature. Electors are free to vote for anyone eligible to be President, but in practice pledge to vote for specific candidates and voters cast ballots for favored presidential and vice presidential candidates by voting for correspondingly pledged electors.
Now you're giving us stuff on the electoral college. That's the general election, not the convention.

C

Clay

Clay, What do you think those primaries were about? Romney's delegates are pledged to vote for him in the early balloting, which means there won't be any late balloting. Brokered conventions are a thing of the past, and if your candidate had recieved the most votes in the caucuses and primaries, I suspect that's the way you'd want it.
They are not pledged and they can change there mind before Aug.
What I am talking about here happened once in history already. In 1920 I think. I realize it has poor odds of happening again but just sayin.... Why yall want to hate on me for being optomistic? lol

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Electors are not pledged. Most "delegates" are. I'm not hating on you, but you've got things mixed up. That whole Warren Harding thing you linked to is a little out of date.

Latest posts

Top Bottom