Romney's VP choices.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clay

this is what I was actually looking for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012
State Delegation Each delegation are made up of up to three kinds of delegates. Party members, delegates from the congressional districts and delegates from the state at-large. They can either be bound, meaning that they are legally or morally bound to vote for a candidate for at least the first ballot at the National Convention, or they can be unbound, meaning that they are free to vote for any candidate at the National Convention. Some delegates are only morally bound, meaning that they are allocated to a candidate or elected on his ticket but are not legally bound to vote for him. Some delegates are unbound but are elected at their local conventions because they are strong supporters of a candidate. This means that the binding status of a delegate only become of importance if no candidate have reached an majority of delegates before the National Convention. If a candidate suspends his campaign the delegates allocated and/or elected to him may become unbound depending on state rules. Five delegations (#) have been penalized for breaking RNC election guidelines, meaning that their number of delegates have been cut in half and their party leaders have been banned from voting. Ten delegations (†) have chosen to bind their party leaders to the result of the allocating event instead of leaving them unbound

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose... Technically

That said: Some of you guys live in a world with pink skies and blue bunnies. You must to hang on to a belief that someone else will take it away from him.

Romney is for all practical purposes the nominee. He has the delegates to take it in one vote. To the best of my knowledge delegates to a party's candidate who won the state are required by all states to vote for their state's winner on the first ballot.

Barring the intervention of God or the Devil - Romney's IT! I don't like it any better than y'all. We don't have to like it. We do have to deal with it - if for no other reason than plain ole peace of mind.

These three things remain FAITH, HOPE, and love.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
second paragraph...I know, its wiki but there are other sorces that say the same
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

The voters of each state, and the District of Columbia, vote for electors to be the authorized constitutional participants in a presidential election. In early U.S. history, some state laws delegated the choice of electors to the state legislature. Electors are free to vote for anyone eligible to be President, but in practice pledge to vote for specific candidates and voters cast ballots for favored presidential and vice presidential candidates by voting for correspondingly pledged electors.

That reference is for the Electoral College whose delegates are chosen by the states and vote for the Presidential Candidate that won in each state after the election in November.

Easy to get confused though - electing a president is a complicated process. Good on ya for doing the research.

It has nothing to do with party convention delegates and how they vote.

Edited to add: Just read your follow up post on bound and unbound delegates. Very interesting. Thanks. Though I still don't think Paul has a chance in hell of getting the nomination and god help the USA if by some miracle he does because he has even less chance of winning the presidency which leaves us with an unfettered obamanation for the next 4 years.

C

Clay

That reference is for the Electoral College whose delegates are chosen by the states and vote for the Presidential Candidate that won in each state after the election in November.

Easy to get confused though - electing a president is a complicated process. Good on ya for doing the research.

It has nothing to do with party convention delegates and how they vote.

Edited to add: Just read your follow up post on bound and unbound delegates. Very interesting. Thanks. Though I still don't think Paul has a chance in hell of getting the nomination and god help the USA if by some miracle he does because he has even less chance of winning the presidency which leaves us with an unfettered obamanation for the next 4 years.
I do know i'm grasping at straws but dangit, Mitt just isnt the guy to do what we need. We dont need a Republican or a Democrat, we need a dogon Amerian with old fashioned American values and ideas!
Im holding out grim hope for us all and I think RP is a good start. Maybe I am wrong but Im not wrong about Mitt, hes bad news for us.
Mark my words...

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do know i'm grasping at straws but dangit, Mitt just isnt the guy to do what we need. We dont need a Republican or a Democrat, we need a dogon Amerian with old fashioned American values and ideas!
Im holding out grim hope for us all and I think RP is a good start. Maybe I am wrong but Im not wrong about Mitt, hes bad news for us.
Mark my words...

Clay, I agree. What we need is more moderate politicians. A divided government has worked in the past. The bad is when government is polarized by the right and left.

I think the fastest growing voter population is the number of registered Independents, who tend to be more moderate. It wont be too long until the right and left wingers become minorities and moderates will govern.

Romney and whoever he chooses or Obama and Biden will only polarize and divide us deeper.
The real key would be to vote out our 2 senators and a couple of congressmen. Replace them with moderates (dem or repub)and Oklahoma would have done our part to get our country back on track.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to stir the pot a little bit... What if, in a matter of months, it is revealed that Romney is guilty of felony tax evasion?

...and what if Obama is guily of associating with admitted terrorists and admitting to using a improperly acquired Social Security number? Or monkeys fly...or it rains cats and dogs?

All just as likely (some more likely) as Romney suddenly becoming guilty of tax evasion. You think the IRS hasn't crawled through his returns with a microscope already?

Latest posts

Top Bottom