Round in the chamber on not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like your buddy spends a lot of time over at Yahoo questions and answers.

About the only gun I'd carry shortloaded with an empty chamber is a Colt pattern Single Action Army style revolver.

That "+1" capacity is there for a reason on the auto loaders.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard some weird stories about mil guys.My brother told me about about pulling guard gate duty at Ft. Lewis..He was not allowed to have a loaded magazine in his M4, only and empty mag..So if the ever got in an encounter he would have dump the empty mag, load a full mag, and chamber..
We never talked about what they do with pistols in the MIL.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard some weird stories about mil guys.My brother told me about about pulling guard gate duty at Ft. Lewis..He was not allowed to have a loaded magazine in his M4, only and empty mag..So if the ever got in an encounter he would have dump the empty mag, load a full mag, and chamber..

Pistols were always chambered. Shotguns/Rifles were bolt closed, empty chamber but magazines were loaded.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And folks on the gate (pre 9/11) were operating under "ORDERS".
During the Memphis Riots up to Hurrican Andrew... I have heard dozens of stories from National guard guys who swear they were sent out with sealed ammo loadouts... and they could only go "hot" if fired upon.

My cousin (Tenn NG MP Company) tells me that their armory issued NO ammo when they went to Memphis in '68 (MKL post assasination riots). He's stated as gospel they hit up every sporting goods and hardware in West Tennessse for 45 ACP and 30-06 they carried on the sly.
I seem to remember some talk that 1911's were only loaded with 5 rounds if the bearer was assigned certain duties on post too.

Any CCW gun needs to be fully loaded and ready to rock.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time to keep a chamber empty on a defensive handgun when you're carrying it on your person the gun is an original style single action revolver. And that's the chamber under the hammer, NOT the first one up. (which it would be, if your buddy carried it)

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And folks on the gate (pre 9/11) were operating under "ORDERS".
During the Memphis Riots up to Hurrican Andrew... I have heard dozens of stories from National guard guys who swear they were sent out with sealed ammo loadouts... and they could only go "hot" if fired upon.

My cousin (Tenn NG MP Company) tells me that their armory issued NO ammo when they went to Memphis in '68 (MKL post assasination riots). He's stated as gospel they hit up every sporting goods and hardware in West Tennessse for 45 ACP and 30-06 they carried on the sly.
I seem to remember some talk that 1911's were only loaded with 5 rounds if the bearer was assigned certain duties on post too.

Any CCW gun needs to be fully loaded and ready to rock.

Were they carrying springfield 03s or garands?

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another take on this:
If you don't have the mindset to carry your handgun loaded and chambered, you most likely won't have the mindset to shoot somebody when they need shooting.

I totally agree. "Can you wait to shoot while I chamber a round to shoot you"? Not much point to carry a gun with an empty chamber.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCW with round in chamber ... if something is going to happen...
odds are it'll happen all at once!

chance favors the prepared... recently I've been accused to being too paranoid about home invasions. not answering the door and/or with shotgun in hand.

with 10+ home invasions in Tulsa the last 45 days... don't think so...

Latest posts

Top Bottom