Rub Lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting quite a few buck pics these days. None of them in velvet any more, some of them a little bloody around the bases still. But I have not found a single rub. Just coincidence that I haven't found any or can they not be rubbing yet?
I was of the opinion that velvet had to be "rubbed" off, it didn't "fall" off, is that true?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same as you, I think they rub it off. I was out most of the weekend looking at different hunting properties and noticed a lot of rubs on the tree lines. I am guessing they will only start to increase from here on out. Keep a sharp eye out, I bet you'll find one soon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think they have to rub the velvet off as hard as they rub to create rub lines for establishing territory.

They also create sign post rubs. I have one within site of one of my stands. its a larger tree about 6" in diameter on a well traveled deer trail.
I've watched many bucks come by and just rub on it for awhile and go on.
Read an article about it one time, and its just their way to let other deer know who is in the area.
Other animals do the same from what I understand. Beaver leave sign posts for wandering young males, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom