Rudy's BBQ in Norman ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We eat at the Rudy's in OKC (near Quail Springs), but I've eaten at many of the others in the chain over the years. We just order the smoked chicken each time now and we're never disappointed. IMHO, they make a good bird.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to love Rudy's on Hwy-9. Now I just like them. They changed their ribs this past year. Don't like the ribs now.

Brisket is good if you get the moist option. I also like the prime rib (Fridays and Saturdays only...get there first).

Vans in Norman is good. Vans in Moore sucks bad bad bad. I've not been to Vans in Shawnee.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Rudy's just fine, but I only get brisket or a baked potato from there. Their potato salad is pretty good--they make it with their baked potatoes, so it has a bit of a different feel to it--and their breakfast tacos are excellent.

I couldn't tell you about their ribs--the only ribs I like are from Smokin' Joe's in Davis. The rest of them are too much work for not enough payoff. Plus, I prefer my BBQ to be dead cow.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About ayear ago Mark and I tried every q place in Norman to check the competition. Here's my take:

Rudy is meh... Wasn't impressed by anything from them. Seemed pricy to the way they sell everything alacarte.

Simms has good potato salad... Their white one. Their ribs taste EXACTLY like ours. .. Not sure how they did that, but we've been doing it longer so... Well I was once told being copied should be taken as a compliment. Everything else was sub par.

Rays food was good and they are friendly. Nothing in particular stands out in my memory as super but it was all good. They would be my choice in Norman if I weren't a vans fan through and through.

Dickies had one good side. . Their twice baked potato or potato caserol I don't quite remember. I liked their sandwich with cheese so we added one to our menu. The cure, as we call it, is doing well.

Rib crib. .. Well I don't remember diddly about it. I do remember they sell a lot more than q.

Sooner legends food was not good at all. I was intrigued by the marriage of q and Mexican. They do crossover quite well. We did but burritos years ago. We have tacos, nachos and burritos on the potential special list.

Vans , imho, has awesome ribs, brisket Turkey, hamburgers, hot links, chicken, chopped pork, fresh cut curly fries, pintos and corn. I like everything else to, or we wouldn't sell it, but the list above are my favorites.

All in all most places had something worth returning for. my top3 would be:
1 vans
2 rays
3 Simms or dickies

Latest posts

Top Bottom