ruger lcr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch-47 mech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i searched the site and really couldnt find any info on the lcr i have noticed a few showing up in the classifieds and was wondering if someone could chime in on whether or not this pistol is worth the money my fiance wants to buy me a snubbie for valentines day and we are planning to go shopping for one tomorrow any info would greatly appreciated.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:Heya: I prefer the Smith & Wesson J frames . They have been around on the market longer & are a proven reliable weapon as there are alot of LEO that carry these as a bug. Personaly I prefer the 642 Airweight @ 15oz ,same configuation as the LCR @ 12oz. If you shake the LCR it rattles, not sure about the longterm reviews as it hasnt been on the market long.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've handled but not shot an LCR. Really light. It has some excellent features, including a very visible fixed sight picture. I am a longtime S&W 642 user; the LCR's sight picture was clearly superior to my Smith's.

I was not as happy with the new Ruger's trigger as most others who try it. I found myself short-stroking it on follow-up pulls. If you do a lot of rapid-fire shooting with the traditional Ruger DA revolvers you will occasionally have the experience where you fire the revolver, then don't release the trigger quite enough for the next shot, and end up with the trigger locking up. (It's not really a "lock up," since all you have to do is fully release the trigger, then pull again, and it works fine. But it feels for a disconcerting moment like the gun's locked up.)

Well, the LCR did that a lot with me dry-firing it. It's as if they obtained the relatively light DA trigger pull by weakening the trigger return spring compared to the traditional Ruger DA revolvers such as the SP101. The problem is, with the Ruger design, you really need that trigger to snap back briskly to avoid the "momentary lock-up" phenomenon I just described when you are shooting fast (as in a defensive situation).

Overall I did not come away with quite enough confidence in the design to explore replacing my trusty 642 with an LCR. But a lot of experienced shooters seem to be impressed with the LCR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom