S&W Model 617

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today's Smith is a far cry from your father's and grandfather's Smith.

If I remember correctly, I actually had to swap the hammer out with the one from a 686 as there was such extreme binding during handoff that it was maxing out my brother's Lyman trigger pull gauge. My 686 had some tooling damage that probably warranted it being returned. After seeing several other examples with the same damage, I decided against it. The gun shoots well and that was the main priority. My brother's 627 has been sent back to S&W three times and basically only the frame is left from the original / new gun that was purchased. Quality control is honestly pretty poor these days.
My 627 is really a good gun, but it was fairly rough at first. Now, it's as smooth as butter. I'll keep what everyone said in mind. I think the best thing to do with my 617 is to wear it in.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 627 is really a good gun, but it was fairly rough at first. Now, it's as smooth as butter. I'll keep what everyone said in mind. I think the best thing to do with my 617 is to wear it in.

His 627 Pro Series is a great gun as well. It unfortunately was just severely out of time when purchased new and the barrel rifling was somehow damaged during one of the trips back for repair. I believe that the last time that it was sent in, it was serviced by a Performance Center tech and came back with several of the internals having also been replaced even though it was not requested. After the third trip back, everything was in perfect working order.

While they do have some QC issues, they seem to generally be very willing to correct any problems that you might encounter. I honestly still wouldn't buy any other manufacturer 's DA revolver over a S&W.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're looking for a smooth 617, try to find a little-used 6-shooter. I've never seen one that wasn't great. Come to think of it, I don't remember any of my 617's which didn't have good triggers. Of course, they were all used when I got them.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AAR on the 617. Basically it was a mixed bag. It is a fun gun to shoot (aren't they all?) and it seems to be accurate in my hands, but the trigger is still very rough and the trigger does not return sometimes. I put around eighty rounds down range and the bottle (empty, of course) of Diet Mt. Dew and the pizza box were well and truly killed, but pulling the trigger seemed to take a lot more effort than it needs to.

I think I'll give it a few more sessions and see if there is sufficient improvement and if I don't think there is, I'll contact the factory and see about sending it back for repair.

In short, the gun shows a lot of promise and now that I have found (for the moment at least) a dependable source of 22 LR ammo, it might mean that my range gets a lot more use.

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks, but no thanks, I'll keep my 17-2, and 14-2. I know "old school", but to date both were purchased back in the mid 1980's, and have never given me one moment of grief. My only regret is never being able to afford a model 16 to make it a complete set. The only other SW target revolver I have is my 25-2 "N" Frame 6" .45ACP/.45AR, cloverleafs at 50yds off the bench. That gun is so accurate its down right boring. I don't think that gun could miss even if you tried to make it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 617 is starting to wear in and and I can see some real improvement now after cycling it a few hundred times with my thumb slowing the hammer down. The trigger returns consistently now as well. I think that all it needed was to wear in and I think that this one handgun will see a lot of use.

As soon as it dries out (we just had a rain storm up here) I'll get the lawn mowed and and as soon as that's done, I'll do some more shooting.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 617 is starting to wear in and and I can see some real improvement now after cycling it a few hundred times with my thumb slowing the hammer down. The trigger returns consistently now as well. I think that all it needed was to wear in and I think that this one handgun will see a lot of use.

As soon as it dries out (we just had a rain storm up here) I'll get the lawn mowed and and as soon as that's done, I'll do some more shooting.
Got back from my range a while ago and put about 80-100 more rounds downrange. The action is really almost as smooth as my other S&W's now and it is a joy to shoot.

What I did was to hold the hammer with my thumb so it would not let the firing pin strike the cylinder and worked the action a few hundred times. That, plus a number of live rounds through it have greatly smoothed the action.

I have heard it said that the best polishing job on a S&W is to shoot them in, and I believe it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are amazing guns. A friend of mine recently picked up a 4" and a 6" model, and I've tried to no effect to talk him out of one of them. Maybe one of these days I'll stumble across one.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are amazing guns. A friend of mine recently picked up a 4" and a 6" model, and I've tried to no effect to talk him out of one of them. Maybe one of these days I'll stumble across one.
You might try ordering one from your LGS. That's where I got mine. Granted, a break-in period might be needed, but once that's over with, they are great guns.

I'm very happy with mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom