S&W Model 617

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try ordering one from your LGS. That's where I got mine. Granted, a break-in period might be needed, but once that's over with, they are great guns.

I'm very happy with mine.

That's a good idea for sure, and MM should heed your advice. I do know that he has some rudimentary knowledge of rimfire guns, and in time, he could even become a decent shootist. If he would just focus on quality and stay away from "value-leader" or "budget-priced guns" he could see what a good trigger felt like.

I have heard he may have a fairly good .22 rifle, but a nice .22 handgun would be a fine addition.

(JK there MM)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from putting 120 rounds down-range and the 617 performed flawlessly. It might be of some interest to a few of you that I did a little experiment today. I have several boxes of CCI sub-sonic and I loaded them and the Remington yellow-jacket (standard velocity) in alternate chambers, and the difference in shooting them was not great, but it was noticeable.

The trigger on my 617 is now on par with my other S&W wheelguns--in a word, superb. This is one handgun that I am glad to have picked up.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The earlier full-lug revolvers are excellent. The one I've kept (yup, bought it new several years ago) is a full lug 8-3/8" Model 17, that has had a trigger job. It is scoped and has been my "squirrel rifle" for several years. Very accurate with good ammo, and easy to carry (I have a chest holster for it).

If you get the SS version (the 617), the trigger should just keep getting better with use.

With any good revolver, treat the cylinder and crane with care and don't abuse the lock work (I don't care what you've seen on TV).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The earlier full-lug revolvers are excellent. The one I've kept (yup, bought it new several years ago) is a full lug 8-3/8" Model 17, that has had a trigger job. It is scoped and has been my "squirrel rifle" for several years. Very accurate with good ammo, and easy to carry (I have a chest holster for it).

If you get the SS version (the 617), the trigger should just keep getting better with use.

With any good revolver, treat the cylinder and crane with care and don't abuse the lock work (I don't care what you've seen on TV).
Oh my GAWD, yes!! I cringe when I see cylinders of DA wheelguns slammed shut. There was a guy on the Kansas forum who swore that if you did it right, it wouldn't hurt the gun. He said that he did it all of the time. He is not going to even look at any of my revolvers.

I just got the original series of Hawaii Five-0 (all 12 years) and they did it all the time. It was generally an entertaining police series, although not terribly realistic.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I just got the original series of Hawaii Five-0 (all 12 years) and they did it all the time. It was generally an entertaining police series, although not terribly realistic.

We're watching the new series of Hawaii Five-O, and the last couple episodes have had me remarking that it would be nice to not be governed by the laws of physics, and reality for that matter.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up pulling the C-More off of my 617 and moving it over to a 929 that I just picked up. I had a new Bushnell TRS 25 on hand so I figured that I'd give it a try instead. Weigand makes a very nice low profile micro red dot mount that fit the bill perfectly. I honestly think that I much prefer this setup over the C-More / BMT mount combo. as it is just too large for a 4" K frame. The micro dot leaves a much smaller footprint and balances very well in the hand.

i.imgur.com_pCvA4hIh.jpg

i.imgur.com_YlDx6Rrh.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom