Said to the State Trooper in my best slurred speech...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I was being loaded onto the gurney and into the ambulance, I somehow weirdly felt compelled to "inform" the Trooper I had a concealed weapon in the car.

In my best, slurred speech I said, "I haf... a....pithol...innnn ma caaar". He said "Buddy, I've got one right here too and I'm not at all worried about yours."

Ha ha ha, you thought I was drunk...

I want to thank the wonderful Mr. State Trooper (I wish I knew his name), ambulance crew, my wife, and my guardian angels, for helping save my life last Sunday, as I literally stroked out on I44 at mm308 south of Miami. First time I almost puked on a Trooper and got away with it, lol.

There also was an above and beyond Fairland police officer that helped my wife get to Integris in Miami from Fairland (I had the key fob in my pants pocket so the car wouldn't start), watched our dog while the wife was in the ER, and got her directionally challenged self back from Integris, to Fairland (where the car was), and back on I44.

Thanks again my first responder friends. You are my heros.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang man, hope you're doing ok. Glad you're here, but I know how much debility one can have from something like that.

Did you get the "clot buster"?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang man, hope you're doing ok. Glad you're here, but I know how much debility one can have from something like that.

Did you get the "clot buster"?

Yes. They called it a Wallenberg stroke, I was within the 3 hour window and fortunately otherwise qualified for the tPA shot. Started it in Miami and continued the drip back to St. John in Tulsa. I was a NIHSS of 14 in Miami and a 0 when I got to the ER in Tulsa. I can't hardly talk, and I'm easily exhausted, but hey, I'll take it over the alternatives. Glad I wasn't far from an equipped hospital.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great news! Glad you are recovering well. That drug can be a miracle in the right circumstances, but it's a dangerous one, too. Tough choice to make, sometimes. But with an NIHSS of 14, that's pretty significant. I've had some folks in the 2 or 3 range and the neurologists are pushing to use it, even on those mild ones. I've seen enough bad outcomes in the past to make me leery of that.

Again, though, glad you're doing better!

Latest posts

Top Bottom