Savage build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I suppose this isn't savage specific (it's just the platform for the right price) what do ya'll think about what I should chamber it for, I am looking at long distance shooting here, and plan on doing handloads. What do you think 300WM, 300RUM, or 338WM. I like the 338 but seems like I would be doing some rainbows at a distance. 300wm is comon and cheaper to shoot but 300rum seems awsome. I know RUM is going to cost more both in brass and to fill with powder... I don't know throw out some other pro's and con's here. If the action could reliably and safely take 338 Lapua there would be no question but I have seen a lot of negative thoughts about.

Thanks.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me I would do it in 300WM. Great long range and you still retain feeling in your shoulder, arm, and hands. Plus it's cheaper to load and the barrel will live longer. 300 Lapua and 300 RUM are pretty healthy in the recoil department which would get old pretty quick IMHO.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off WHAT is long range to you? second WHAT are you going to be shooting? paper, steel plates, deer, elk, p-dogs? and truth all of your choices I believe are to much rifle! any rifle is going to be a rainbow at long range some less than others and don't fool yourself the 338's will be flatter than the .30 cal's you have to factor in BC of the bullets, they may start out slow but they don't slow down as fast.

If yor new to long range then I would suggest the little ol' 308 Win. or even a 223 with the heavy bullets so you can get out and figure out how to read the wind pretty much the hardest part of long range shooting! you can get you drop chart lined out and get the hang of it and you will be able to afford to get out and shoot. I was going to build a 338 Edge and shoot the 300gr SMK's but by the time I reloaded my rounds I would be right close to $3 everytime I pulled the trigger and the Lapua (338) brass is 3x's the cost.

I am going to offer some suggestions on caliber and before anyone says THAT WON'T WORK plug the numbers in and just see. First I don't know if you have a long action or short action but here's my suggestions and I would build them on a long action. 280 Remington, 7 WSM, 284 Winchester, reason you can get heavy enough bullets and have the BC high enough to get you a very long way out there! I can't find the article but the 7 WSM shooting 180gr Berger VLD's was holding some impressive groups at a mile (1760 yards) the straight 284 Win is back on the 1000 yard bench lines and is doing very well. I shoot one for deer and I can tell you that 162gr A-Max is nasty!

You don't need a MAGNUM to shoot long range the biggest thing is find something that has a high BC bullet, is not hard on barrels, and you can afford to shoot and if you are going to shoot long range it'll take a mess of rounds to figure out that wind! Do a mess of research but please don't think you have to have something that used 90gr. of powder and must lauch a 300gr bullet at 2900fps to get to 1K people do it all day with a 308. Just remember shooting long range is easy, hitting at long range is different. Later,

Kirk

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First off WHAT is long range to you? second WHAT are you going to be shooting? paper, steel plates, deer, elk, p-dogs? and truth all of your choices I believe are to much rifle! any rifle is going to be a rainbow at long range some less than others and don't fool yourself the 338's will be flatter than the .30 cal's you have to factor in BC of the bullets, they may start out slow but they don't slow down as fast.

If yor new to long range then I would suggest the little ol' 308 Win. or even a 223 with the heavy bullets so you can get out and figure out how to read the wind pretty much the hardest part of long range shooting! you can get you drop chart lined out and get the hang of it and you will be able to afford to get out and shoot. I was going to build a 338 Edge and shoot the 300gr SMK's but by the time I reloaded my rounds I would be right close to $3 everytime I pulled the trigger and the Lapua (338) brass is 3x's the cost.

I am going to offer some suggestions on caliber and before anyone says THAT WON'T WORK plug the numbers in and just see. First I don't know if you have a long action or short action but here's my suggestions and I would build them on a long action. 280 Remington, 7 WSM, 284 Winchester, reason you can get heavy enough bullets and have the BC high enough to get you a very long way out there! I can't find the article but the 7 WSM shooting 180gr Berger VLD's was holding some impressive groups at a mile (1760 yards) the straight 284 Win is back on the 1000 yard bench lines and is doing very well. I shoot one for deer and I can tell you that 162gr A-Max is nasty!

You don't need a MAGNUM to shoot long range the biggest thing is find something that has a high BC bullet, is not hard on barrels, and you can afford to shoot and if you are going to shoot long range it'll take a mess of rounds to figure out that wind! Do a mess of research but please don't think you have to have something that used 90gr. of powder and must lauch a 300gr bullet at 2900fps to get to 1K people do it all day with a 308. Just remember shooting long range is easy, hitting at long range is different. Later,

Kirk

What he said! .308/.223/.30-06. You can load light or heavy, most will shoot better than you can, and for the most part be kind to your shoulder. Long range means being able to dope the wind, and it'll be different everytime you shoot. Its not a one setting fits all, plus things such as are you shooting uphill or downhill will come into play, and at longer range the mirage effect.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already have a good 308 that can shot sub moa and probably half-moa. I understand that people shoot 308 out to 1600 yards with accuracy fairly regularly. That 308 is my hunting rifle and with the way it is setup I don't feel that it would be much good beyond 400-600 yards (limit of scope adjustability and such). So this one would be for benchrest/target (dare I say sniper-ish style without getting labeled mall ninja:blush:) So I don't want to duplicate the 308. As for the shoulder maybe I am young and dumb but I don't mind leaving with a sore shoulder makes me feel like I did something that day.

Anyway as for distances in a word "yes".... I want to only be limited by the place that I shoot. Not saying I am capable right now of it, but I want the rifle to be capable of 1000+ and ideally 1600 or more. I am only interested .30 or .338 not negotiable for other reasons. I want this to be better than me so that I know the only thing holding me back is me.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then you need to build what I was going to do, 338 Edge, 300RUM necked up too 338 pushes a 300gr. SMK about 100fps faster than a 338 Lapua I have heard of people getting 2950-3000fps. Go get you a Steven M200 in 300WM or 7RM sell everything but the action, order a +20MOA base from Ken Farrell, order 2 30" Douglas 7-W taper 338 barrels from McGowen that way when the first is burnt out you'll have another one that comes close to matching the first (not trying to sound like a smart @$$ I promise just what I was told by some fella's that have them) get with Straight Shot Gunsmithing for a muzzle break (you'll want one) and some dies that I don't know if Nate has or not call Kevin Rayhill for a stock, bolt handle, bolt lift kit, and steel trigger guard, don't tell him your building a 338 Edge! purchase you a SSS trigger start buying mag primers, 300gr SMK's and a mess of brass, get out the credit card and order you a Nightforce NXS 5.5-20x50 and get out there and drop stuff up to around 2500 yards.

Yep I wanted this rifle BAD! and was going to build it! I had most of the stuff less the barrel and dies. I finished up my 284 Win and well I just can't see less saying I have one to build it. I have my 308 that does well at 1K and my 243 I have made hits on a 18" plate out to 1300 yards not a good LR hunting round though. I don't know how far out I could push the 284 Win but I doubt I could hit out as far as it is capable! If you find someplace around Norman to shoot out to 1K let me know I'd sure be interested! very interested in fact!! it would save me a lot of time driving down to Badlands. If you would like some more information on this round or some others shoot me a PM I'll check my computer at home and give you some links or contacts that I have. Good luck on your caliber choice dude that's the hardest part of a rifle build! well funding that build seems to be a problem for me LOL. Later,

Kirk

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hummm this sounds interesting. A few links would be greatly appreciated. In my research I came across quite a few people mention the EDGE just glanced past it. My first wildcat just might be the EDGE.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you want real long range capability, you might consider duplicating my recent build. It's a Savage 110 (long action) with .338-06 chambering.

It's not a total wildcat. You can buy ammo for it, but if you shoot it much you are pretty much dirven to reloading because of both price and availability of different loads. Loading 30-06 brass for the first firing is the way to low cost fire formed brass. You can goose the caliber a little more by doing it in Ackley improved, but I haven't taken that step, and may not.

These have been used in Alaska as the primary weapon on absolutely everything up to, but not including the big bears. Lots of browns and a few polar bears have been killed with them in self defense situations. Folks tend to keep a few Africa type solids on hand in bear country, and it'll do the job if it has to, though not comfortably.

Ballistics pretty much mimic the 30-06, but with heavier bullets and the benefits that those offer. Recoil is only a fraction of my .338 Win Mag, and mv is not too far behind it. The case ends up being rather straight walled. This is one very big contributor to recoil reduction that is often overlooked.

A friend of mine and I did all the work on converting my Savage 30-06 to .338-06 in a short afternoon. Darned thing is very accurate, and I think I have, scope and all, less than $500 in it. That includes the cost of the donor rifle, the barrel, the wrench, the go gauge, and the spray paint we put on the crappy Savage fiberglass stock. (Still mumbling about replacing the stock, but one hole groups at a hundred yards really don't provide evidence of the need for another one.)

Not a 300 Mag, but a reliable, hard hitting killer out to 300 yards or so. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom