What's Your Side-Hustle or Passive Income? Legit Question.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not make a lot but I do fix things that are broken.
I never pay to have things done.
Except medical but only sometimes.

I fix neighbors and friends cars Brakes Suspension etc etc.

If you ever pay to have things done that is money out of your pocket.
Yea I hear people say I make more money an hour than it takes to fix something so i pay the guy to fix it for me.

Really!
You spend all your time making money you never sit to type BS on the computer without making money.
You never turn on a TV or radio and relax.

Well kudos because you do not need extra cash.

I do not need extra cash all I have is paid for and if it breaks i got it covered because I fix things that are broken and I live way below my means.

Think about that when your car needs an alignment.
Roof leaking.
AC quit.
Pipes bust under the house.
Windows leak.
Tree fell on the roof.
Transmission or engine went out on your vehicle.
Ceiling fan broke off the mount.
Need an add on to your house.

Need concrete work done.
House/ foundation sagging.
Welding need done on car or equipment.

Fix it yourself I do.
Don't know how? Research it I did way before the internet was the way to research things.

I like my rental houses.
They are paid for and I did not need anyone to help me fix anything on them.

Many electronic things fail.
Home phone, fans , heaters etc. Instead of tossing it take it apart and fix it.

Same here. I’ve saved enough money since I was 12, that it probably would have cost me a million dollars or more to pay for the work that I’ve done.

The democrats will find a way to tax those of us who do a lot of our own work.

What is interesting is I’ve done side jobs over the years. Didn’t make much money but it paid for a bunch of equipment I still use today.

The old saying still goes. It takes money to make money. I’m in my 50s and have invested since I started my day job/career.
I’ve invested in what most people think are investments, stocks and the like. I’ve also invested in tools to do my own work on stuff.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really a side hustle, but...

I do surveys for Amazon and Sam's. Doesn't amount to much $$ but I invest less than 5 mins a month and it's a enough to buy a nice dinner out somewhere.

I'm also in a program with Home Depot where I review products. It pays in merchandise. I've received some pretty big ticket items just for writing reviews on things. It was an invitation only type program and when they asked me via email if I was interested I thought it was just some scam. But I called HD and they told me it was legit so I started doing that about 5 years ago.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I was this fluent in mechanical work but a lot of what you describe takes the lifestyle of doing that type of work...my career path precludes me from learning everything you listed since it's full time and I have a family. Anyway; kudos to you but just mentioning that not everyone can be that inclined.

This! There are many instances that does not make economical sense to do it yourself. Now for an individual there are cases where self reliant repairs and such are.

But for example our Family Businesses to shut down for a day or so to repair a home, vehicles and such would cost 8 times what could be earned by not doing so!

Example: We had nothing but wood heat my entire life growing up, there was a guy who brought us 15 ricks of wood every year, spit and ready in a tandem Dump truck. Dump it in a pile and we would pull a metal building on skids over it and it was our job as kids to keep the porch full. I asked one time why don’t we cut our own wood? Was told that it would cost us a $1000 a Rick to cut it ourselves! Time is money and money is time. A fine line to walk!

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit a couple years ago, but I'd cut lawns after work. I'm a pretty well paid management type, but when the wife went back to school, there went half our income. You'd be surprised how much cash you can make if you're willing to put in the hours. I'd usually make enough to buy groceries, gas, etc...paycheck covered utilities, house payment, etc..worked out real good, and is great exercise.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not make a lot but I do fix things that are broken.
I never pay to have things done.
Except medical but only sometimes.

I fix neighbors and friends cars Brakes Suspension etc etc.

If you ever pay to have things done that is money out of your pocket.
Yea I hear people say I make more money an hour than it takes to fix something so i pay the guy to fix it for me.

Really!
You spend all your time making money you never sit to type BS on the computer without making money.
You never turn on a TV or radio and relax.

Well kudos because you do not need extra cash.

I do not need extra cash all I have is paid for and if it breaks i got it covered because I fix things that are broken and I live way below my means.

Think about that when your car needs an alignment.
Roof leaking.
AC quit.
Pipes bust under the house.
Windows leak.
Tree fell on the roof.
Transmission or engine went out on your vehicle.
Ceiling fan broke off the mount.
Need an add on to your house.

Need concrete work done.
House/ foundation sagging.
Welding need done on car or equipment.

Fix it yourself I do.
Don't know how? Research it I did way before the internet was the way to research things.

I like my rental houses.
They are paid for and I did not need anyone to help me fix anything on them.

Many electronic things fail.
Home phone, fans , heaters etc. Instead of tossing it take it apart and fix it.

I hear ya, at this point in my life, I've put in the grind for years to get where I am. Even now my job takes a lot of my time. Small, quick and easy things around the house? Sure. Yard work? Of course. Change an alternator? Maybe.

However, pipes bust, AC, Roof, etc??...... Yeaaaah I'm just going to pay someone that can do it faster and better than me. Life is too short.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really a side hustle, but...

I do surveys for Amazon and Sam's. Doesn't amount to much $$ but I invest less than 5 mins a month and it's a enough to buy a nice dinner out somewhere.

I'm also in a program with Home Depot where I review products. It pays in merchandise. I've received some pretty big ticket items just for writing reviews on things. It was an invitation only type program and when they asked me via email if I was interested I thought it was just some scam. But I called HD and they told me it was legit so I started doing that about 5 years ago.
Along those lines, I have an app on my phone that sends me surveys basically verifying if I visited Discount Tire or some other store and if I bought anything. Barely make pocket change doing that, but it's enough to pay for a Pandora subscription every month. The main reason I keep doing it is that with the Pandora subscription, I don't ever have to hear ads while listening to music anymore. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in probably 5 years. I freaking HATE commercials.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm at the age and physical condition, I have 2 choices; supervise grandkids doing the work or hiring it done.

These days, my side hustle is raise a few cows.

During the Planned DEMpanic, daughter, 2 grandsons, granddaughter and her husband were doing Door Dash. 1 grandson still doing it. It is a side hustle that is 100% your choice when to work and can make good money. Amazing how lazy some people have gotten. My son, truck driver, uses Door Dash daily. Instead of eating truck stop crap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom