Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i.qkme.me_3v2vws.jpg

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it's not necessarily true that you would have been in jail a year ago. There are certain provisions allowing open carry without a CHL, you just have to meet their criteria.

BA Glocknut

New to the site!
Reaction score
Well I will say I took up law enforcement and private security 17 years ago for the purpose of using my 2nd amendment right and have carried for 17 years. The news has really done alot of injustice and also so have youtube in the fact that alot of people paint uniformed officials as the gestapo.

Truth is there are a few officers who are against any carry at all but you find the majority of officers would rather come into contact with an individual with a firearm minding their own business then they would some piece of garbage looking to commit crime.

I carry both ways because I for one love the fact that when I am with other 2A people there seems to be a polite society around us.

I dont carry to impress and I dont carry to feel macho. I carry because I have personally witnessed firsthand what firearms do to people and I have seen the trail of destruction that death leaves in its wake. If I deter one piece of garbage from harming someone else because they were intimidated then its worth everything I have endured to get the right to carry. People talk down on me and others praise me but in the end all I want is what all of you want and that is for EVERYONE to go home alive and to their families.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody reals jumped on him. His question is like asking someone why they like the color green. They just do. That answer is not good enough.

I agree with Criticalbass, the guy has remained civil and is asking a question that is answerable, even if it forces you to examine yourself to answer it. Saying its the "same as asking why someone likes the color green" isn't even the same thing. Your favorite color is an emotional response while choosing to open carry is not. If you choose to carry openly, no doubt you have thought through the process first. Most shooters are very good at thinking ahead and making choices based on that due to the potential danger involved if you don't. We don't go shooting in a field until we've checked ahead and made sure there is a safe backstop, we consider our gun and caliber choices and how our homes are designed before choosing our HD gun choice. We think about ballistics and such when choosing which cartridge to use in our carry gun or home defense gun. We think through just about everything, even if we don't realize it to make a decision that best suits our particular needs. So if someone says they made the choice to open carry with no more thought than flipping a coin I simply don't believe it.

Gun owners, well those who actually shoot, are by default, forward thinking because the results of just making a gun related decision based on whim can be potential tragic. I've never open carried because I just don't like attention and so far it's worked for me. I've considered the benefits and detractors from carrying openly and decided that concealed is best for me. I totally support open carry because it means if your gun prints or is accidentally seen you aren't going to face legal repercussions and that it gives everyone the opportunity if they should so choose to. Another reason is the large number of businesses that still don't allow open but do allow concealed. It's a pain in the butt to get out of your car and walk across a hot parking lot only to get sign blocked and now you have to go all the way back and secure your gun before entering the store and I hate leaving one of my guns in my car. I do, however, fully support those who have chosen to carry openly because I do believe it helps to ingrain into the public that open carry is nothing like what the anti's promised everyone it would be and that's a win for our side.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't open carry too much. When I do, it is usually just because it is hot, and I take my suit coat off. I try not to very much, partly because I don't have a holster with any more than level 1 retention.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer what I call 70/30 carry. It's 70% concealed, 30% open (or vice versa depending on clothing).

I'm 5'10", 165lbs, not a big guy. But I still want to carry a full sized Glock, so I can't really hide it without looking like I need some Preparation H.

A full size Glock in an IWB holster at 3 o'clock still shows quite a bit, but with a jacket or an untucked shirt it doesn't show completely.

Concealed enough to keep a low profile, open enough to access easily and be seen by those inclined to notice the lump on my hip.

schmeeking

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets say I am illogical and decide holding up the gas station is my best option. The more you think about how I would react, the more wrong you would probably get. If you take a logical appraoch to it, you would probably assume guy with gun is target 1. But that's again thinking logically. The person perpetrating the act is illogical. There's no way to know what they think. IMO, if you are protecting your person, you take a small profile and try to utilize the element surprise as much as possible. The downside is people don't get to see your shiny piece. Seriously I would think it depends on the situation, and each apprach has pros and cons.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets say I am illogical and decide holding up the gas station is my best option. The more you think about how I would react, the more wrong you would probably get. If you take a logical appraoch to it, you would probably assume guy with gun is target 1. But that's again thinking logically. The person perpetrating the act is illogical. There's no way to know what they think. IMO, if you are protecting your person, you take a small profile and try to utilize the element surprise as much as possible. The downside is people don't get to see your shiny piece. Seriously I would think it depends on the situation, and each apprach has pros and cons.

This is the very reason I studied shape shifting. Yes indeed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom