Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because he can? I am no proponent of open carry. I agree that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's smart. I prefer concealed and off the radar rather than attracting unnecessary attention.

I tend to agree with leemozoid here. I've seen several guys open carrying here and there. (Funny, haven't seen any women doing so ... hmmmm??) I'm not sure the general public even notices to tell you the truth. Only reason I do is that damned GC ... If I hadn't married him I'd still be blissfully unaware of my surroundings ... sigh ... Now I'm OCD (and it appears to be a permanet affliction) about exits and where they are, sitting where I can see the door and taking mental note of everyone I see ... It's tiring ... But necessary, I suppose ... :wink2:

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the question the OP asked is better served in person, with the person of interest. Not on a gun forum if you seriously didn't expect people to ask why you care. The reasons for OC are endless and you are spending a lot of time of the "attention whore" aspect which would lead a few to believe you are making a personal attack on someone due to your beliefs about the law or the "popular belief" in exercising it.

I guess I don't get it. If I were to have posted that I saw an Idiot today carrying a gun on his hip in public with a diatribe about how stupid he was for doing it....I could see how I would be making a personal attack on the person or his beliefs. THAT'S NOT WHAT I DID. I was taught if you had a question, ask it and let people that have another opinion provide an answer. I RESPECTFULLY wondered if it was one of three things; deterrence, attention or exercising his right.

I did say in the OP that I should have asked him personally but I missed my chance. I never said I minded people asking me why I care...I've explained it, to show me another side that I currently don't see. I didn't think I was spending a lot of time on the attention whore aspect of this, I felt I was defending myself for people assuming motives that weren't there.

I didn't post my feelings in the OP in order to get answers and not a confrontation with people who don't think or believe like I do. So I will tell my thoughts (which are subject to change)...I want to be like a fish swimming with thousands of others. You will I was taught early that the nail that sticks his head up gets pounded down. Regarding the OP, I was armed also. I think there are times that I could get involved in something that I might CHOOSE not to. If everyone sees a gun on my hip, then I might no longer have a choice in the matter. Example: my wife and I were pulling out of our addition when we saw a car pulled over on I-35 access road. As were we waiting, we saw a man jump out of the passenger side, run around to the drivers side and scream and go crazy towards the woman driving. My wife said "you have your gun don't you?" I called 911 and explained to my wife, I am not willing escalate a situation and something bad happen (watch the current news and see what happens). If he starts hitting her, then I would jump in. Until then, let the cops come and deal with it.

I AM NOT BLASTING ANYONE WHO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION. If you have a different rational or personality trait or whatever, It's OK with me. I am not looking down on you. I would like to have a rational conversation though.

Just thought of another situation that happened. A buddy and his wife spent the night in Tulsa. On Sunday morning, they went for a walk in the downtown area after breakfast. With no one on the street, a car with two young thugs pulled up and parked across the street. The two guys started walking directly towards them and my friend (a leo) said his radar was screaming. He went down to one knee and raised his pants to access his pistol. As he had his hand on the pistol and made eye contact, the two turned around, got in their car and left. So I AM a proponent of being armed and able to protect yourself.

For anyone else willing to chime in, please go back and read my OP. For those that DO open carry, could you provide incite as to whether you do for one of the reasons I asked or is it something else. As far as I'm concerned, there are no wrong answers.

For those that want to discuss my beliefs and motives, go find Pistolguy to talk with.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess I don't get it. If I were to have posted that I saw an Idiot today carrying a gun on his hip in public with a diatribe about how stupid he was for doing it....I could see how I would be making a personal attack on the person or his beliefs. THAT'S NOT WHAT I DID. I was taught if you had a question, ask it and let people that have another opinion provide an answer. I RESPECTFULLY wondered if it was one of three things; deterrence, attention or exercising his right.

I did say in the OP that I should have asked him personally but I missed my chance. I never said I minded people asking me why I care...I've explained it, to show me another side that I currently don't see. I didn't think I was spending a lot of time on the attention whore aspect of this, I felt I was defending myself for people assuming motives that weren't there.

I didn't post my feelings in the OP in order to get answers and not a confrontation with people who don't think or believe like I do. So I will tell my thoughts (which are subject to change)...I want to be like a fish swimming with thousands of others. You will I was taught early that the nail that sticks his head up gets pounded down. Regarding the OP, I was armed also. I think there are times that I could get involved in something that I might CHOOSE not to. If everyone sees a gun on my hip, then I might no longer have a choice in the matter. Example: my wife and I were pulling out of our addition when we saw a car pulled over on I-35 access road. As were we waiting, we saw a man jump out of the passenger side, run around to the drivers side and scream and go crazy towards the woman driving. My wife said "you have your gun don't you?" I called 911 and explained to my wife, I am not willing escalate a situation and something bad happen (watch the current news and see what happens). If he starts hitting her, then I would jump in. Until then, let the cops come and deal with it.

I AM NOT BLASTING ANYONE WHO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION. If you have a different rational or personality trait or whatever, It's OK with me. I am not looking down on you. I would like to have a rational conversation though.

Just thought of another situation that happened. A buddy and his wife spent the night in Tulsa. On Sunday morning, they went for a walk in the downtown area after breakfast. With no one on the street, a car with two young thugs pulled up and parked across the street. The two guys started walking directly towards them and my friend (a leo) said his radar was screaming. He went down to one knee and raised his pants to access his pistol. As he had his hand on the pistol and made eye contact, the two turned around, got in their car and left. So I AM a proponent of being armed and able to protect yourself.

For anyone else willing to chime in, please go back and read my OP. For those that DO open carry, could you provide incite as to whether you do for one of the reasons I asked or is it something else. As far as I'm concerned, there are no wrong answers.

For those that want to discuss my beliefs and motives, go find Pistolguy to talk with.

Dude, the answer is that there is no answer. People do what they want to do. The reasons don't matter if what they are doing is legal and not hurting anyone. People have been giving you insight on the subject but you're acting butthurt because its not the answer you wanted. Move on already.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, the answer is that there is no answer. People do what they want to do. The reasons don't matter if what they are doing is legal and not hurting anyone. People have been giving you insight on the subject but you're acting butthurt because its not the answer you wanted. Move on already.

Dukester, do you open carry?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! tranger2 has hung in there, remained civil and open a whole lot longer than I probably could have.

This speaks well for him. I share his inquisitive nature. People in Oklahoma can open carry if they meet the legal requirements. We all know that, and I think we are all glad it's now that way. But, inquiring minds want to know. For me, it's rare that I open carry except in the weeds/woods for a number of typical reasons.

Curiosity as to personal decisions is pretty natural. Jumping on someone for being curious seems to be kind of an over reaction.

On a positive note, this thread is about guns and it's on the General Discussions forum.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
WOW! tranger2 has hung in there, remained civil and open a whole lot longer than I probably could have.

This speaks well for him. I share his inquisitive nature. People in Oklahoma can open carry if they meet the legal requirements. We all know that, and I think we are all glad it's now that way. But, inquiring minds want to know. For me, it's rare that I open carry except in the weeds/woods for a number of typical reasons.

Curiosity as to personal decisions is pretty natural. Jumping on someone for being curious seems to be kind of an over reaction.

On a positive note, this thread is about guns and it's on the General Discussions forum.
Nobody reals jumped on him. His question is like asking someone why they like the color green. They just do. That answer is not good enough.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't open carry, but I don't mind if someone else does at all. Weather it be in a surpa or a drop leg holster, it matters none to me. I look at it like this, the more people continue to see a gun on someone's hip and nothing bad happens, the better. I wish more people would open carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom