Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I open carry mainly as a matter of convenience. When I go to work I have to wear all nice dress clothes. I can't carry into worn so I have to leave it in the car. It is pretty convenient to just put on the owb holster and head out the door in the morning. I would probably attract more attention trying to conceal the gun in this scenario. I also oc on the farm. In regular clothes I typically cc by covering my gun with an untucked tshirt. While oc'ing I have never had anybody say anything to me. To be honest I'm not sure anybody ha even noticed.

So that's why I oc. Convenience.

@toehanus

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in a business on the south side of OKC yesterday morning when I saw a man (customer, not business owner) wearing a long un-tucked shirt with the shirt pulled up on one side and his pistol exposed. I first thought his shirt rode up or he didn't realize it was exposed until I saw him four hours later when I went back in the same fashion.

It made me think, why does he carry open?

1. Is he hoping for a deterrent effect? No one will attempt anything around him because he's armed?
2. Does he like the attention? the stares and whispers because it's still not a normal sight?
3. Because its his right to do so and he does it proudly?

I have seen business owner's carry and know it is for a deterrent effect. I'm not trying to bash this guy, I really would like to know. I should have talked to him. Anyone here open carry and give me positive reasons. I carry about 80% of the time and have always felt concealed was right for me.
Well if you were at Hibdon's July 3rd you might have seen me I fit the description you have described. That is how I carry. To answer the question. I do hope for the deterrent factor. I don't do it because I think it makes me look cool. I do because of personal reasons. And part of it is because it is my right to do so. And as several have posted if more people see guns on law abiding people they will get used to seeing them. I could not tell you how many have told me thank you for it. Also I could not tell you how many have came up to me and asked questions . Some like are you a cop or a security officer to how can I do that. I hope this answers your questions .

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i60.photobucket.com_albums_h21_khines_86_GIFS_0013s7hp.gif

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you were at Hibdon's July 3rd you might have seen me I fit the description you have described. That is how I carry. To answer the question. I do hope for the deterrent factor. I don't do it because I think it makes me look cool. I do because of personal reasons. And part of it is because it is my right to do so. And as several have posted if more people see guns on law abiding people they will get used to seeing them. I could not tell you how many have told me thank you for it. Also I could not tell you how many have came up to me and asked questions . Some like are you a cop or a security officer to how can I do that. I hope this answers your questions .

Yep, it was you. Red shirt, Glock, drive a truck.
Thanks for providing an respectable response. I hope there was nothing you read in my OP that would make you think I was disagreeing with you or looking down on you like some of these knuckleheads were assuming.

I am a LEO and for the last 8 to 10 years, I have been been carrying CC, at work and off. My attire is jeans and a pullover knit shirt 95% of the time. Sometimes, I print so bad that you can tell how many rounds are in my mag. (That's a joke for some of you.) Being LEO, I carry everywhere, even places that have the No Weapons sign on the door. I have NEVER, in this time period, EVER been approached by anyone about my weapon, or asked to leave. I don't think most people even SEE it, even though everyone on this board would identify it.

Thanks criticalbass for your comment. I know a lot of people are very defensive and it's easy to overreact, especially on what is going on in our country. Its easy to take things wrong from posts or texts when you can't hear the person and the tone something is being said. I really enjoy this site and on here every day.

Kingabby, more power to ya. Thanks for your input.....

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, it was you. Red shirt, Glock, drive a truck.
Thanks for providing an respectable response. I hope there was nothing you read in my OP that would make you think I was disagreeing with you or looking down on you like some of these knuckleheads were assuming.

I am a LEO and for the last 8 to 10 years, I have been been carrying CC, at work and off. My attire is jeans and a pullover knit shirt 95% of the time. Sometimes, I print so bad that you can tell how many rounds are in my mag. (That's a joke for some of you.) Being LEO, I carry everywhere, even places that have the No Weapons sign on the door. I have NEVER, in this time period, EVER been approached by anyone about my weapon, or asked to leave. I don't think most people even SEE it, even though everyone on this board would identify it.

Thanks criticalbass for your comment. I know a lot of people are very defensive and it's easy to overreact, especially on what is going on in our country. Its easy to take things wrong from posts or texts when you can't hear the person and the tone something is being said. I really enjoy this site and on here every day.

Kingabby, more power to ya. Thanks for your input.....
Yep that was me Green Dodge truck. Never hurts to walk up and ask.Trust me I wont get butthurt over it. Even if people don't agree with me.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? Like this has been a right you have had your entire life. You've only been able to exercise this right for less than a year or so. Your butt would have been in jail couple of years ago if you did this. Like it or not.

Don't hijack my post! I never questioned or said anything about rights. Please get this back on topic...

Actually, we have had this right our entire life, it has just had unconstitutional restrictions til now. Don't get all butt hurt.

Questioning a person's reason for open or any other form of carry is counter productive because it suggests that they need to justify it to you. The reasons a person might open carry are infinitely varied, just accept that and do what is right for you.

Thanks

Wow, you made one of the points originally questioned. Is he an attention whore? Are you? If you like the feeling of people looking at you because of what you're doing, or the way you're dressed, or the way you act, you're an attention whore.

Are you an attention whore?

Sometimes people act like an attention whore by yelling and demanding in posts. If you ask a question and get an answer, don't gripe about it. It may not be one you agree with, but you don't have to start a pissing match either.

I was in the "never open carry" crowd until I started carrying at the gun shop and figured out that OWB is so much more comfy than IWB. I even ordered a Serpa for my J frame.

I am designing a drop leg holster for my J frame. Want me to put you on the mailing list?

I did say in the OP that I should have asked him personally but I missed my chance. I never said I minded people asking me why I care...I've explained it, to show me another side that I currently don't see. I didn't think I was spending a lot of time on the attention whore aspect of this, I felt I was defending myself for people assuming motives that weren't there.

I AM NOT BLASTING ANYONE WHO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION. If you have a different rational or personality trait or whatever, It's OK with me. I am not looking down on you. I would like to have a rational conversation though.

For anyone else willing to chime in, please go back and read my OP. For those that DO open carry, could you provide incite as to whether you do for one of the reasons I asked or is it something else. As far as I'm concerned, there are no wrong answers.

For those that want to discuss my beliefs and motives, go find Pistolguy to talk with.

I guess I don't understand why anyone thinks they should walk up to someone open carrying and ask them why they are doing it? Would you walk up to someone with a tattoo, and ask them why they did that? I don't get where it is anyone's business?

I appreciate the attitude of there being no wrong answers on this, it did not seem that way at the start of the thread. I don't think I have ever open carried, but am thinking that I might simply to help overcome the shock of seeing people doing it.

And, 100 internet points for referring people that don't agree with you to discuss them with pistolguy! Nice! :D

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually, we have had this right our entire life, it has just had unconstitutional restrictions til now. Don't get all butt hurt.

Thanks

Sometimes people act like an attention whore by yelling and demanding in posts. If you ask a question and get an answer, don't gripe about it. It may not be one you agree with, but you don't have to start a pissing match either.

I am designing a drop leg holster for my J frame. Want me to put you on the mailing list?

I guess I don't understand why anyone thinks they should walk up to someone open carrying and ask them why they are doing it? Would you walk up to someone with a tattoo, and ask them why they did that? I don't get where it is anyone's business?

I appreciate the attitude of there being no wrong answers on this, it did not seem that way at the start of the thread. I don't think I have ever open carried, but am thinking that I might simply to help overcome the shock of seeing people doing it.

And, 100 internet points for referring people that don't agree with you to discuss them with pistolguy! Nice! :D

I agree with this. If you see me OC'ing, don't come up to me and ask me why.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell sometimes I open carry , Both pistols, just to make sure they can see Im armed.
I dont know if it will scare the baddies away or make the sheeple more comfy, there are stats going both ways.

. I just want my name up there with Chuck Norris....Dam look at That Badaxx.....;)

.OP answer..some do ,some dont, I just usually do what I want to....(yea ,cause I carry 2 pistols)
( oh and now Ill be keeping my eye on the OCers, just to see what theyre up to...;) )

Latest posts

Top Bottom