Scope question on a Steyr Mannlicher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like it , never saw one......
Refillable butane torch . This one has a soldiering attachment. For reference, I wear a x-large gloves .
IMG_20221205_162401864.jpg

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Refillable butane torch . This one has a soldiering attachment. For reference, I wear a x-large gloves .View attachment 326079

That's really cool , i have the old Jumbo one , last i used it was to anneal the 22ccm brass that i made then turn it into the 17ccm.......but fixing a clock that would sure come in handy....i'll have to ck, it out.....thanks

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kroil won’t touch loctite. You’re going to need heat.

Evidence from removal of rear mount shows no loctite.....when all fails , time 2 put it on Bridgeport & mill away carefully so as to expose the screws....this mount isn't what he wants anyway for his scope....hopefully the Kroil & L.H. drill will get the job done & also salvage the front mount.....
Heat is usually a go to , although such a small screw within that "Block" may present other problems.....

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
heat is my go-to on something like this. Soldering iron or just a red hot piece of copper held to the screw head. Its surprisingly effective, and things go better if you jump to heat before stripping the slot in the screw head.

Heat softens dried oil in the threads, transforming it from glue to lubricant. It also expands the screw slightly, leaving it a bit looser when it cools. If you have enough slot left in the head, you might get it out.

Take the action out of the stock first. No point putting a blemish on the stock if you slip with the hot iron.

If the screw must be removed by drilling, get someone with a mill to do it.
No point making bad situation worse.
If you are lucky, they can cut off the head, remove the scope base with minimal damage to it, and then weld something to the stub left and back out the remaining screw.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Since the hole is recessed, I was thinking about a soldering iron. Just set it in the hole and lean it against something for a bit.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I got the mount off. Used a hacksaw and dremel to cut through it. Needless to say, I was a little nervous but I double wrapped everything with a double layer of gorilla tape. Now for a complete tear down and cleaning. This thing is filthy

Latest posts

Top Bottom