Self defense shotgun loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not talking about #4 shot for duck or Turkey. I’m talking about #4 buck shot. Different animal. #4 buck is good for varmints or pests that are 4 or 2 legged. 00 buck is even more effective.
Yes I was just saying they didn’t have anything like that not even turkey loads which would be better than 7 1/2 or 8 shot

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I was just saying they didn’t have anything like that not even turkey loads which would be better than 7 1/2 or 8 shot
Gotcha. Yeah. I hear you. Those loads #7-8 are good for dove and quail . I was thinking you didn’t know the difference. Lots of people get them mixed up.

S&Gammo and Palmetto state Armory have a selection of 12ga buck, slugs and others on hand if you can’t find any local.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buck and ball essentially, I use a slug that has three 00 pellets behind it for good measure. Winchester PDX1 Defender 12 gauge.
I patterned that Winchester load and I did not like the results. At 25 yards 1 of the 3 pellets was consistently at the edge of the paper and would've missed the target had it been a person.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me this loader was plastic? But I’ll have her dig it out that’s why I never messed with it
Only one plastic one I know of is a Lee Load-All which may take a little playing with to get it crimping properly. They don’t have any adjustments so it can be a challenge. If the crimp isn’t sealing tight toss in a couple Cheerios to take up space which will solve your problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom