Self defense shotgun loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘m starting to experiment with handloading buckshot, and my first try didn’t prove to be as “accurate“ as I expected and only got 8 pellets in a 14x16” piece of cardboard at 25 yards using a modified choke in a Benelli Super 90. I don’t have any 00 buckshot but do have a bunch of 0 buckshot, so I loaded (10) 0 pellets in a WAA12R wad with buffer and overshot card over 26 grains of Longshot. I’m going to try a load with International Clays powder and WAA12114 wad next.
IMG_3232.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try less choke, tight constriction really deforms buckshot which can really ruin patterns.
Modified has proven to give the best pattern for me with factory 00 buckshot for 30 years, but if it doesn’t tighten up with the next load, I plan to try an improved modified choke.

Truthfully, though I’m not satisfied, 8 pellets in a 14x16 square will kill deer or pigs.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve probably asked this question before, but how many of y’all have actually killed something (deer or pig specifically) with buckshot?
I've got a story about 3 little pigs. It's been a while but while trying to walk some up, I encountered 3, probably 250+ lbs maybe??? Very rough and steep terrain, along a creek covered with knee to waist high vegetation. When I flushed the 3, it was like a covey rise.
First 2 went down with 1 shot each. Last one made across the creek that this time of year; you could step across almost anywhere. I ended up shooting about 20 yards and broke the front shoulder with an apparent tight pattern of all 9 pellets.
He slowed down but wasn't out. If not for the steep bank, he may have got enough head start that I had to chase him a bit???
Regardless, I was amazed by how much energy from the Fed Tac 2-3/4" 00, those pigs could soak up...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Closeest store that sells shotgun shell is 35 miles away and of course they only had bird shot 1oz 6 1/2 shot better than nothing I guess till I can get somewhere else or order some
I have some 2 3/4" #2 lead I will give you next time you pass by.
That being said, I would never use a long gun for clearing a home by myself.
Too many blind corners where the perp could be hiding around the corner to grab the muzzle of the firearm and be in control from that point, using a pistol with the other hand to shoot you.
A pistol can be brought into play much quicker than a long gun at port arms while moving through the home. Come to a corner, what's on the other side? What is going to get you on target quicker, a long gun or pistol?
Yes, LEO uses long guns because they are a trained unit backing up each other with fields of fire. But the single home owner that wants to clear the home is better off with a handgun IMHO.
That being said, if someone breaks into our home, we are going to hunker down behind the bed, call 911 and let the people that have long guns and training to clear a home come in and do their job. There will be a shotgun ready if needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom