Serious matter in my life right now, i need some car restoration help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, any new updates?

oh no. its still not done. now they are loosing parts. we had to order a 2 piece bracket, bolt kit, and gasket for where the ac and heater core lines run through the firewall. because the original has mysteriously vanished. after they missed that friday deadline a little over a week ago, they said "tuesday or wednesday" and then thursday they "discovered they did not have all the parts" still plenty of work to be done as is sounds. so they should have been working on other things while we 2 day aired the part. have been to busy to talk to my pops since friday. i think the parts he ordered came in, so who knows.

but now they have the graphic. and our car is supposedly going into the paint booth right after the one that is in comes back out.

no stated eta atm....

i no longer have hope that it will be done in time for the circus. hopefully i will see the car again by summer time.

but supposedly my father has walked in on them during the week and they have actually had people touching the car for once. sounds like the first time anyone has actually been physically turning a wrench on the car when we happened in. unless you count walking in on the paint guy taping the car. so i guess hes letting it slide again....

he mentioned that when they finished everything under the hood, they had to take the car to another shop to have the headers welded to the exhaust or something..
once these people are done with our car and we have it back, i know the plan is to go someplace and have the order and install a flow master exhaust system on it. at least he knows better than to let these people do it.

I certainly have no faith in it being done before the car show that i guess is in a week? no plans for our car or us going to it. the only reason i know there is a car show in a week is because the sop has mentioned it on three facebook posts lately. sounds to me that they are...

"Less than a full week before the car show starts! We are excited! How about you guys?? We hope to see you there!"

well, that makes it sound like several of them will be there now doesn't it? well, if it opens the 17th, and runs through the weekend... and they claim that they work at the shop on weekdays and saturdays... and if you owned a business and you had a pissed off customer that oh, lets say their car was supposed to be done by thanksgiving..... would you cut two work days so that you and your workers could go screw around at a car show instead.

I just do not see how you could cut your guys from working on a job that is so blatantly behind schedule in fact, over due. and spend two working days at a car show... i know its your industry and a chance to promote business, but what should be more important to you salvaging a situation with a current customer to try and save face... or putting that off once again, to go advertise there? i doubt they will have a booth.. so what are they just going to walk around handing out cards?

Last edited:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks (still) Robert.

They lost parts but you guys had to pay for new ones... how does that work?

I wouldn't have been able to contain myself months ago let alone at this point. I don't know how you're doing it.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That sucks (still) Robert.

They lost parts but you guys had to pay for new ones... how does that work?

I wouldn't have been able to contain myself months ago let alone at this point. I don't know how you're doing it.

The parts should have been in a bucket with the heater core and more, but we have no proof, so to finish the car we ordered em...... All we can do I guess.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've followed this thread from the beginning and hope it finally works itself out in the end. My one curiosity is that I wonder if your parents will be able to enjoy the car after this whole ordeal. I'm sure they wish it had gone more smoothly. Hope so!

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alright, i assume this is close enough to what i should be allowed to call the "end of February" so time for the latest update. As you know the car show happened a week ago, the 17th through the 19th; and they were there. I was wrong, they actually had purchased a booth, and were showing two chevys. my dad woke up that saturday morning and decided he wanted to go look at cars, so we went. caught a glimpse of the owner, but by the time we circled back to the booth he happened to have stepped away. the only person there i recognized was the "paint guy" so, naturally that meant no chance anyone was back at the shop working on our car for those three days.

Went to the shop on the 15th the wednesday before the car show. i was off from work, and the parents wanted to go have lunch and then they decided to go over there, so since i was in the truck with them i followed them into the shop, against my vow that i would not visit the place again until the car was finished or we reclaim it. i guess they got the guy to get their graphic, because as of that day it had all the color paint finished, the lettering was on both sides, there was some "over spray" where the black had run over on itself, owner said it was not going to be an issue, it will sand down to normal before they clear coat it and it will look flawless. this is over the drivers side on the stripe, its not black running onto the red, so i assume this is correct, it should have sanded down and been unnoticeable. so as of that afternoon they were planing to sand the front portion of the car, and spray the clear, then sand and polish the clear, and that will mark the completion of the paint portion of the car. still will have tons of more work left to do form the looks of it. forgot to look to see if the windows were even in it yet or not at that time.

so fast forward to the end of last week. the 24th, i went to work, and my mother texted me as they were leaving town for the weekend. they had stopped by the shop to see the car, and snapped a few crummy iphone photos to show me, and on the phone she told me that they finally got the clear coat on the car, the said they will be sanding the clear coat that weekend and be done with the paint, just lacking putting everything back together (lots of interior stuff i guess left to put back together also i guess).

here are those photos.
i841.photobucket.com_albums_zz338_okwrking871_IMG_0186.jpg

i841.photobucket.com_albums_zz338_okwrking871_IMG_0185.jpg

i841.photobucket.com_albums_zz338_okwrking871_IMG_0184.jpg

you can see they still do not have the rear window back it in, the headliner is pined up hanging down, and there is still plenty of interior work to finish.

looking good i guess, but time is certainly not looking so good. I talked with my mother today and she said they had gone to see the car again this morning, and once again the car has been pushed out of the way, and untouched, they have another car in the paint booth (which i am not sure if they need the lighting in the booth to properly sand and final polish the clear coat or not) but the fact is they said they were going to finish the final sand/polish on the clear coat either last friday night or saturday at the latest when my folks stopped by on the way out of town, and here we are tuesday and they have once again gone back to their old ways by not touching the car.

mom told the story that she said to them "what happend? the cars not sanded and it was supposed to be done this last weekend?" and the guy said he is going to start that either tomorrow or the next day. well that answer was not found acceptable to my mother; so she went to the owner and informed him that we are done being screwed over, they owe us a completed car, and if he does not get his crap in gear and finish the car he will be in court; that they have already been talking to their attorney. so i guess after that conversation that since we have not gone down to load up the car, he us apparently said he was going to finish it. I truly hope they get busy and manage to get it done by the end of next week. the way they have treated us with this car is simply not acceptable, we have been more than patient enough throughout this process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom