Sheds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually shed hunt when searching for morels. I've seen bucks holding all the way through March before.
Yep. I didn’t have any bucks drop until mid-March last year, and even had a buck with antlers into the first part of April. Latest I had ever seen.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday, I saw my first bucks on camera that had dropped horns. Like others, I generally don’t start shed hunting until morel hunting season.
8BFA6510-B8B4-4EC4-B570-A2984EF8EE14.jpeg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off topic, but where do you hunt for morels? I mean what areas do they grow on? I am hoping to get out and find a few this year if I can since that is the only shroom I can identify safely. Any others I buy in a store. :P

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Off topic, but where do you hunt for morels? I mean what areas do they grow on? I am hoping to get out and find a few this year if I can since that is the only shroom I can identify safely. Any others I buy in a store. :P
The only place I’ve found morels on my place is in a small cedar/elm grove on the north bank of the Salt Fork. There are other areas similar, but I’ve never found morels but in that one spot. :anyone:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only place I’ve found morels on my place is in a small cedar/elm grove on the north bank of the Salt Fork. There are other areas similar, but I’ve never found morels but in that one spot. :anyone:
Yeah, but when you find 50 lbs in that one spot, why look anywhere else? :)

RickN - Primarily along creek bottoms or moist/sandy soil. They only stay up about 1-2 weeks after the ground temp gets warm enough. If you do get out and IF you find any, never break the morel code and tell anyone even family! There is a 'fake' Morel so be cautious. Not sure if they're poisonous(don't think so) but they will have a SOLID stem like a crimini mushroom from the grocery store. A 'true' Morel will have a HOLLOW stem. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom