Short range rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal I've been hunting out West for the last 15 or so years and have built a nice selection of long range rifles but this year while I will still hunt out West I have been given a great place to hunt across the street from my house and well there are trees! and a few houses to deal with and I'm afraid my rifles are a bit too much. I'm needing some ideas for another build but for up close maybe 100 yards most are in the 50 yard range, heres the thing it needs to be able to fit a bolt action, short barrel, I don't need a
.560BC bullet at 3000fps I was thinking just a 30-30 but I'm not a fan of lever guns and a semi is out so I need to be able to chamber this in a bolt action any ideas? I've not gotten to look real hard yet so any ideas would be a great start. Later,

Kirk

Reaction score
Well, leverguns are the quintessential choice. .30-30. .35 Rem. .44 mag, .45 colt, .45-70 (lev I), etc. But you're not a fan.

Of course the same western/beanfield rifles that you've been using will also work just fine. But if they're long & heavy and you're just looking for something shorter, you might try a single shot like a T/C Encore or NEF Handi rifle - no receiver to speak of means shorter overall length. Chambering - take your pick, from .357 mag on up to 12 ga slug.

You could buy my sporterized SMLE No. 4 in .303 brit or my Win featherweight 70 in 7mm-08 that are for sale, if you like:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64888

You could also just use the same ML that you use for ML season - I've got two short handy MLs that work just fine during rifle season - one is a Rossi .45 cal youth ML - super light and short. Other is a Traditions Thunderbolt I had a gunsmith cut down to 20".

The T/C Encore Kahtadin (sp?) is another example of a nice short handy 20" ML barrel, too.

Besides those two MLs, I've got two other short light rifles - best is the Puma 92 in .454 casull. Other is NEF Handi in .45-70 gov't.

You might even look into a "mountain" style lightweight turnbolt rifle - a short action light rifle such as a Rem model Seven, Kimber 84, etc, in chamberings like .243, .260 rem, 7mm-08 rem - again, just buy my Win featherweight! :D

I wouldn't even rule out using an AR15 in 5.56x45 or 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc - these are light handy rifles, and plenty for deer with the right bullet/load choice. Plus they're easy to carry at the ready in the woods with a single point or 3 point sling.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could hit the pawn shops looking for a Rem 788 or a savage 340 both are bolt guns and came in 30-30.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Siamese Mauser in 45/70 all though this would be a custom.
This action is strong enough to handle the 45/70 at max, which will put it about 100 fps slower than the 458 win mag. The 45/70 is not really a short range cartridge it more than capable of cleanly taking deer at 300 yards. I have made that shot twice with my Marlin 1895ss.
There are a few bolt actions in 30/30 around Stevens ,Savage and Remington all made bolt guns in this cartridge.
Just what is it that you are shooting now that be to much for hunting in Oklahoma. I deer hunted for years with an older feller who used a 375 it got the job done very well. We have guys at our camp that use the 7 mag and 300 ultra mag both work well as a deer round. Heck they are all short range if you slip up close to the target be for you shoot:D

Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom