Shot my first deer today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
cant just clean a deer you hit with your car without calling the local warden i would assume
According the the ODWC:
Deer and elk carcasses may be checked in quartered with sex organs naturally attached and head accompanying the carcass.

You can't just chop the straps out and leave the rest.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have eaten many road killed deer Local sheriff or PO gave the ok to take it.
I have not hit one but many friends have.
Yea blood clotted on some parts but I have shot them and had many that were way worse than what the car done to them.
I have eaten other types of road kill critters and all were just fine and tasty.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call the game warden...they'll let you keep it or donate it. Too late now.
I now have learned this. As I was leaving I had a local pull up, said that he would take it and put it in the smoker if I wasnt wanting to drive around with it. I told him to go for it. So no waste.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could have actually used one of your archery tags to take the deer with GW notification, but from some that have done that, the meat is all hemorrhaged and not suitable for eating.
You might have been able to salvage some of the meat but not much likely depending on how hard it was hit.
I hit him at about 30, hit his back half with the passenger side of my truck. Snapped his back.
Hope it didn't do too much damage to your truck.
nothing too bad from what I can tell, but I have yet to look very close.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that for road kill or fair chase hunting
I would think that as a game warden, they're going to believe what they feel is most likely, its my word vs their observation, and as the guy without the law on my side, without the ticket book, I would rather play it safe. Like I said, I’m sure every game warden in the state has heard the ol “I hit it with my truck and decided to put it out of its misery” story from road hunters and poachers. If it was gun season, I would have loaded him up in a second. But archery season, with a truck full of hunting gear, I'll err on the side of caution.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that for road kill or fair chase hunting
I believe both(re: cutting out back straps). Fair chase 100% can't do - wanton waste of a game animal. For road kill, before taking any of the meat or horns, I believe you need something from the game warden in case you get stopped with it in your possession. Should always contact the local warden of hitting a deer so if you don't want to take it they can come get to donate to a shelter. At least that's what I'd do and not be in possession of anything from said deer without a 'road kill' tag from warden or police/sheriff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom