Shot my first deer today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Jared I was wondering if you wanted to weigh in on this, with what you would think or expect someone to do, and all that. I was gonna PM you, but I figure that the general public could benefit from the info too.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a friend of mine was a truck driver and would hit deer all the time. he would always salvage the deer with permission from the game warden. was no problem at all but i suppose it depends on the warden some.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Jared I was wondering if you wanted to weigh in on this, with what you would think or expect someone to do, and all that. I was gonna PM you, but I figure that the general public could benefit from the info too.
You need to contact a Game Warden in order to legally possess the roadkill deer (or any of its parts).

You dont check it in as a harvested deer on a deer license, that would be giving false info to a check station.

The GW has the ability to check the deer in under your name as a “non-legal” harvest, which documents that you are now in possession (legally) of the deer.

I know of cases (ive made one) prosecuting people who poached a deer and claimed it was roadkill.

So, that is why its not legal to possess the roadkill without going through the proper channels.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to contact a Game Warden in order to legally possess the roadkill deer (or any of its parts).

You dont check it in as a harvested deer on a deer license, that would be giving false info to a check station.

The GW has the ability to check the deer in under your name as a “non-legal” harvest, which documents that you are now in possession (legally) of the deer.

I know of cases (ive made one) prosecuting people who poached a deer and claimed it was roadkill.

So, that is why its not legal to possess the roadkill without going through the proper channels.
Thank you for the clear explanation.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you and we appreciate all of you all!

Latest posts

Top Bottom