Should College Athletes Be Paid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are being paid with the scholarship, housing, books, fees, etc that they get.

Some athletes get more than others.

My Daughter was an NCAA Athlete, getting paid never crossed her mind, she did it because she loves the sport she participated in.

It's not all about money even though with Sports these days that seems to be the primary focus.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@ Blinocac200sx .......Then it's already being done. If a college athlete qualifies for work study he/she is usually assigned a menial job, usually within their sports area, that allows them to collect the workstudy that they qualify for. I assisted with "field maintenance" when I was in school. I usually just showed up, spent my time, may have done a little work, and then turned in my hours. ( I knew some who never worked at all. They just showed up and hung out for a few hours a day.) The problem arises when the sport is in season because there isn't much time for working when your playing or preparing to play. I had to learn to budget and save my money from the off-season to get me through the time when I knew I would be working fewer hours.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we begin paying college athletes, then it just becomes a lower level of pro ball. The university willing to offer the most money to athlete A gets him and the college game then becomes "all about the money" just like the pro game. Kids will play for a university one year and then want to "hold out" for a better contract for the next. If they are good enough at what they do, the "payday" for these athletes should come after college, just like it does for the regular student. If not, then at least they have a degree (paid for by someone else BTW) to fall back on.

Another thing to consider, if universities begin using the money generated by their sports programs to pay the athletes, then only those sports that create great amounts of revenue will be kept, women's sports will, of course, suffer the most, and tuition cost will skyrocket because someone has to pay for new construction on campus, upkeep, staff, and the millions of operational dollars spent yearly. Who will pay for that? The answer: taxpayers and the average student. Sorry, but I would rather see them do away with college athletics than begin paying players, and I've sent several kids on to college on scholarships.

I believe they already get a monthly stipend so I dont agree with the fundamentals of the argument. And also about a degree paid by someone else, is also completely false in this situation. The football team generates enough revenue to pay for the players scholarships many times over and the surplus goes to support the school, the rest of the athletic department, and everywhere else you SHOULD know that. And OU is a great school all around but if you take away the face of the school then where do you think we would be? Would OU sell as much merchandise? (the questions are rhetorical because we all know the answers)

The one dimensional opinions are making me laugh. You fellas need to realized that if the issue was a burden it would have been nipped in the bud a longgg time ago. The benefits out way the cost greatly, if they didnt we wouldnt be having a discussion over this so called "issue" because there would be no athletic program.

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already been mentioned but by going to school for free they are in essence being paid.

If you get a company car and gas card and benefits etc at work do you factor that into how much money you make? I do, because its essentially that much more money in my pocket.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP by your question do you mean should they be paid the large figures that the other posters are mentioning or do you mean simple increases to their current compensation?

If they doubled the football players stipend I would have no qualms with that.

Last edited:

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A stipend paid to athletes would actually be illegal under NCAA rule (see Bylaw 12 and Bylaw 15 of the NCAA rules). My point about the degree is that it had not cost the athlete monetarily (or at least cost much less) to attain it as all expenses (or most of them anyway) were paid through scholarship. The money generated from the football and basketball programs is needed to support the non-revenue producing sports as well as the university itself. College football and basketball are big money business for the university and those participating in those sports have the opportunity, if good enough, to continue to the next level and receive pay and benefits far in excess of what most college graduates can expect.

We were given "meal money" for away games and it was always more than one would spend. I guess you could consider that a "stipend".

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already been mentioned but by going to school for free they are in essence being paid.

If you get a company car and gas card and benefits etc at work do you factor that into how much money you make? I do, because its essentially that much more money in my pocket.

But no one says anything about the scores and scores of students sucking off the gov't teat by getting untold amounts of financial aid. At least these boys are providing revenue and exposure to the school, no one is paying for them they have more than paid for themselves.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But no one says anything about the scores and scores of students sucking off the gov't teat by getting untold amounts of financial aid. At least these boys are providing revenue and exposure to the school, no one is paying for them they have more than paid for themselves.

I agree with you that they earn every penny of their scholarship. College athletics are much different than HS athletics in demand for time and commitment. Being a college athlete is a job, no doubt. I also agree that these athletes are many times the face and the financial stability of the university. However, they do have the choice whether or not to participate at the college level and they know the rules, risks, and potential benefits when they sign on.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A stipend paid to athletes would actually be illegal under NCAA rule (see Bylaw 12 and Bylaw 15 of the NCAA rules). My point about the degree is that it had not cost the athlete monetarily (or at least cost much less) to attain it as all expenses (or most of them anyway) were paid through scholarship. The money generated from the football and basketball programs is needed to support the non-revenue producing sports as well as the university itself. College football and basketball are big money business for the university and those participating in those sports have the opportunity, if good enough, to continue to the next level and receive pay and benefits far in excess of what most college graduates can expect.

We were given "meal money" for away games and it was always more than one would spend. I guess you could consider that a "stipend".

I dont know what the rules say but like i said before my cousin plays for OU and I have a handful of friends on the team as well so I know more about what really happens (we have discussed this between us ad nauseam). Im sure there is some loop hole to get the players those funds legally.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you that they earn every penny of their scholarship. College athletics are much different than HS athletics in demand for time and commitment. Being a college athlete is a job, no doubt. I also agree that these athletes are many times the face and the financial stability of the university. However, they do have the choice whether or not to participate at the college level and they know the rules, risks, and potential benefits when they sign on.

I agree with you completely, I just dont agree with other posters saying that they are a burden. The posters along with most people will never see behinds the scenes, it is not all smiles and games. To be the "big boys" their bodies are pushed to the limit. I honestly feel bad for my cousin because you can see how he is physically worn out and broken down by the end of the season. (They lift weights like there is no tomorrow)

Latest posts

Top Bottom