Should College Athletes Be Paid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know what the rules say but like i said before my cousin plays for OU and I have a handful of friends on the team as well so I know more about what really happens (we have discussed this between us ad nauseam). Im sure there is some loop hole to get the players those funds legally.

I think what most people are calling a "stipend" is really the check the players receive that covers their rent. From what the players i work with daily have said, the school has agreed to cover your housing via scholarship. If you choose to live off campus then you get that money in the form of a check and you are supposed to use it to cover your rent. The catch is, though, if the dorms are closed (say over xmas) then you don't get a check because if your scholarship wouldn't be paying money to the dorms then they can't give you the money. (It gets even more complicated when you start adding in days they are practicing over a break because the rules change again).

My neighbor coaches volleyball at Ole Miss and even he has issues keeping all the nuanced rules straight sometimes.

No matter how you cut it, though, the schedule of most college athletes sucks a lot. It leaves very little time for any kind of other job.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i agree donner, about the whole schedule thing. The only reason i believe that they should be compensated is because playing a sport like football is a job in and of its self. Many players come from humble backgrounds to say the least and without monetary support they cant afford to by transportation, clothing, and normal necessities even if school, books, and food were paid. And if the school is making tens or hundreds of millions off the sport they play then why cant you get a very very tiny portion of the revenue that was earned from the sweat off their backs. And by no means am i saying cut players large checks but a couple hundred every two weeks isnt going do anything except help the players out.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of alumni "finacially assisting" athletes' families, but I don't know the legal issues or if it's even happened before. Has anyone ever heard of this before.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the students should get some spending money. What I have a problems with is the Coaches getting paid multi-millions of dollars per year. How much do the other teachers or professors get paid?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The world's smallest violin, originally played by Mr. Pink just for the waitresses, but now doing an encore just for the athletes in this thread.

right.

It does suck to try to keep the schedule some of these athletes have to keep. You can disagree all you want, but until you've worked with them and seen how little time they have to themselves, you probably wont get it.

I was working with a kid last year and when we got done blocking out all the time he is in tutoring, class or practice he only had seven hours between 8 am and midnight to do things like eat, shower, relax, oh and study for his classes. All that while dealing with the physical demands from weights and practice.

I am just saying that the schedule of a D 1 athlete isn't something i envy. Yeah, there are perks to being an athlete, but there are also disadvantages, which is something that should be remembered too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom