Should College Athletes Be Paid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
right.

It does suck to try to keep the schedule some of these athletes have to keep. You can disagree all you want, but until you've worked with them and seen how little time they have to themselves, you probably wont get it.

I was working with a kid last year and when we got done blocking out all the time he is in tutoring, class or practice he only had seven hours between 8 am and midnight to do things like eat, shower, relax, oh and study for his classes. All that while dealing with the physical demands from weights and practice.

I am just saying that the schedule of a D 1 athlete isn't something i envy. Yeah, there are perks to being an athlete, but there are also disadvantages, which is something that should be remembered too.

If it was to pass The Black Bears (LMAO) of Ole Miss could not compete with the funding from some of the larger schools. Hell they cant even keep their mascot!

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the students should get some spending money. What I have a problems with is the Coaches getting paid multi-millions of dollars per year. How much do the other teachers or professors get paid?

Teachers don't get paid as much because all they do is educate future generations. Oh wait...

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was to pass The Black Bears (LMAO) of Ole Miss could not compete with the funding from some of the larger schools. Hell they cant even keep their mascot!

Ha, don't get me started on that one. The mascot was more of a school thing than an athletics things. Even the AD tweeted that he didn't like the bear.

And they are still the Rebels, the 'on field mascot' is just a bear. Much like Alabama are the Tide, but the mascot is an elephant...

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ha, don't get me started on that one. The mascot was more of a school thing than an athletics things. Even the AD tweeted that he didn't like the bear.

And they are still the Rebels, the 'on field mascot' is just a bear. Much like Alabama are the Tide, but the mascot is an elephant...

OK... I still cant believe the students and alumni don't push back harder and cut donations to the school. They just rolled over for the Liberals!

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK... I still cant believe the students and alumni don't push back harder and cut donations to the school. They just rolled over for the Liberals!

to some extent it was a 'student-led initiative'. They had a vote last year asking if the students wanted an 'on-field mascot'. When it came back with yes, the students were then allowed to choose from a series of mascots, but none were allowed to be Colonel Reb. All of the choices were dumb. There is a somewhat well-funded group called the Col. Reb Foundation that keeps making waves, but it will be hard to get things changed. One state legislator even introduced a bill requiring Ole Miss to keep Col. Reb, but it never made it out of committee i don't think.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my friends from back home go to / graduated from Ole Miss and could care less about the mascot. I guess a black bear makes sense, what with Mississippi's massive population of 70-100 bears.

Bush Dog

Blissfully Confused
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pay them for what? They are there to get an education. If they want to play football that's great, but get an education and contribute intellectually to society.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
to some extent it was a 'student-led initiative'. They had a vote last year asking if the students wanted an 'on-field mascot'. When it came back with yes, the students were then allowed to choose from a series of mascots, but none were allowed to be Colonel Reb. All of the choices were dumb. There is a somewhat well-funded group called the Col. Reb Foundation that keeps making waves, but it will be hard to get things changed. One state legislator even introduced a bill requiring Ole Miss to keep Col. Reb, but it never made it out of committee i don't think.

How in the crap do you figure it was student lead? I have a child at Ole Miss working on her MBA and this was FORCED DOWN THEIR THROATS but the LIBERAL school president and faculty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom