SHTF and Japanese Citizens Behavior..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The May 1999 tornado could be a good example of a bad situation in Oklahoma, especially since that hit the OKC metro area. Don't recall too much of a problem with the locals in that area like you had in NOLA. Don't recall hearing problems from other places along the gulf coast that were even more devastated then NOLA.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought we disarmed their population.

It has nothing to do with weapons. The people of Japan just have better manners and discipline than the average American. Plus their society is more of a homogenous society than ours. I believe if you have "like" people then they will be more likely to stick together than a country where everyone is out for themselves.
I lived in Japan (Misawa) and had a great time. I've never had a problem with any Japanese person, only other GI's.

As far as LA. I was there during the riots. Even some of my co-workers were trying to sell me CD's, toothpaste.......
Most of the Asians defending their stores were Korean. I say good for them trying to defend their property. The whole situation was messed up.

I've worked with people from all over the world and had girlfriends of every color, so this isn't some racial crap. It has to do with character.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I happened to be in Little Rock on 9/11/2001, forgot toothpaste and I can tell you the people in Wal-Mart that evening were far less than civil, same with the folks raiding the gas stations. I did not have enough gas to get back to Tulsa, and couldn't get close to a station to get gas for 2 days.

To me Civil unrest is a real threat in the US.....

I was told(by a very credible source) that following a small micro-burst in Tulsa around 21st and Yale TPD was turning away people in trucks with trailers, wonder what they were after?

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewere that they had a line of workers ready to stay and die fixin the power plant and only picked 50 but that goes to show you we would prob try and find some illegals and payem 50 bucks a piece.LOL

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not even a similar comparison. You didn't hear about looting and trouble once you got our of New Orleans. Most of the affected areas are pretty rural in nature.. I can't imagine there would be a lot of looting Pryor, Woodward or Claremore for that matter. It is different when it's a little town (comparatively) versus a giant metroplex where you aren't known by your neighbors.

It darned sure is - it's a direct comparison. Most of Japan is a heavily populated area; so is New Orleans. You don't hear of any looting in any of the large cities in Japan, and it's got nothing to do with whether they have guns or not. They have dignity and self respect. In fact, there is no looting IN SPITE of the fact that no one is armed. That should make for a hotbed of theft and lawlessness.

I don't think there would be quite the looting effect in Woodward or any other small town, especially in the middle part of the country. But if you think for a minute that NOLA is an anomoly, guess again. There are many metro areas in this country that would react just the same. Hell, morons en masse loot and ransack when their pro sports team wins a championship. Just let the balloon go up and see what happens.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewere that they had a line of workers ready to stay and die fixin the power plant and only picked 50 but that goes to show you we would prob try and find some illegals and payem 50 bucks a piece.LOL

This is because of their culture. The Japanese see the problems they're having, even though they were set off by a natural disaster, as a failure on their part. This is why many of their speeches lately begin with apologies, because they are beginning to admit there is a problem, which they feel is their fault. Honor is everything to them, so it's actually not that surprising they had workers ready to stay on work to try to stop something from happening.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When will we learn that cultures around the world are different? What works here won't work there and vice versa.
That goes for politics and religion as well as many aspects of life in general.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Not even a similar comparison. You didn't hear about looting and trouble once you got our of New Orleans. Most of the affected areas are pretty rural in nature.. I can't imagine there would be a lot of looting Pryor, Woodward or Claremore for that matter. It is different when it's a little town (comparatively) versus a giant metroplex where you aren't known by your neighbors.

I remember driving in downtown Pryor the Monday after the ice storm in 07 and seen people lined up on main street. I guess the local hardware store was selling 100 dollar chainsaws for 200 bucks and 400 dollar generators for 1000.00.

The difference between Japanese and Americans is, Americans believe in helping themselves and the Japanese believe in taking care of themselves and others. It's not really surprising. Americans put their elderly and sick in nursing homes and the Japanese put theirs in the bedroom in their house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom