simple question on red dots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had a red dot or shot one. Are they effective at 100yrds? Can you see the dot in the daylight at 100yrds? Would you recommand one? Im got my first AR picked out and thought about putting a red on it. It will be used as a plinker and protection, sorry for the simple questions

Reagan, What kind of AR did you decide to go with? I bought a S&W M&P 5.56 from Cheaper Than Dirt for well under $1,000 that I really like. Lifetime warranty and full features. But it was too expensive for plinking [punching holes in paper targets] so I also bought its little brother the M&P 15-22 for plinking. Approx. 40-cents a round in .223 versus 3-cents a round in the .22 LR. I figure I paid for the 15-22 after the first 1,500+ rounds of .22 LR's I've put through it instead of using that many .223's.

As for the Red Dot... if you have never used one... you might consider getting yourself a cheap one at Walmart for $40-ish and trying it out before investing a lot of money in a really good one. If you like it and do get yourself a better one... you can always use the cheaper one in a trade for something else... like maybe toward a holster or for ammo. And they do make tip-off mounts so you can tip over the red dot and use your iron sights. Me, I decided I preferred a good scope over the red dot. A scope will look past your front sight so you don't have to take the front sight off. I use the kind of scope with the lighted red & green cross hairs... so it does have some of the benefit of a red dot for quick shot alignment at low magnification..

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to refrain from posting here, because I have near zero experience with red dots. However, I am doing as several people have said above: shooting the gun with irons for a while first. Albeit on my 3rd AR-15 now... LOL!

I'm posting because I have to contradict the advise above, my experience with all things gun related is: don't buy trash just because it's cheap. If you just have to try a RDS, do some research, and pick one that at least has good reviews. The Primary Arms does, along with the Vortex and a couple others. If you do a search for budget red dot type optics, you should find a thread in which EZ Bake posted a nice list of quality budget optics.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use a leatherwood hi lux 1x30 red dot on ak's. They work great day or night. Scotch00 has a pretty good video on this red dot on youtube. It cost about $80 on optic planet.com.

Popjim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSA is a great website because of the knowledgeable people on here who are willing to share it with others. Not a day
goes by that I don't learn from you all. Thanks to you and OSA!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bushnell Trophy TRS-25. It's a great sight for the money excellent value so far. We are trying a pride fowler rapid reticle on the wife's rifle right now. So far seems to be a good sight but it hasn't been beaten on used and abused nearly as much as my Bushnell.

Dots are rated in MOA size so that would be the number of MOA's they eclipse at a given distance. A 4moa dot for example would eclipse 4 inches in diameter of your target at 100 meters, 8 inches at 200 yards 16inches at 400.

So a 4" diameter target would be completely covered at 100 meters. But it's fast to acquire your target with one. No magnification makes it parallax free and of you don't have strong eye dominance issues it looks like it's floating in space in font of you rather than the classic single eye picture through a magnified optic.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hae put red dots on several rifles and like em...have not had anything go bad so far....preference is the truglo 2x with a 2.5 moa dot....paid 70.00 for the last one....if you dont like it you can get most all your money back on a resale....still use scopes on the long range shooters

Latest posts

Top Bottom