Smart phone question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wanting to get my wife a new phone. She has a Blackjack2 now and likes it. She wants something with a bigger screen and that is easy to use the web on. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know everyone has Iphones, but now the Droid phones are out. Is one better then the other. It will be on ATT.
Thanks everyone.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both the Iphone and any Droid based phone are easy to use for the internet. HTC has a new model with Droid OS and it's screen is enourmous. The screen is bigger than my entire phone. Iphone vs Droid = personal preference. I'll try and find the name of that new HTC and give you a link.

ETA: here's the link http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/htc-inspire.jsp

And here's what she says about it: HTC Android Inspire.

My complaints about it....It doesn't hold batter very long, drops calls a lot and it's difficult to text message on. I never had any of these problems with the Iphone

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iPhone for those that don't mind being told how to use their phone and what they can and can not have on it. Android if you like to hack on your phone, Captivate is nice if you get a good one, my wife is getting ready to get her third under warranty, I am on a warranty replacement now and am pissed my original had a problem because it ran much better than this one. I have no experience with the infuse which is their new 4G android device with a dual core 1Gig processor, but it's a samsung with the Super AMOLED screen that smokes apples devices. Want storage you can upgrade yourself up to 32gb get an android. Want the worst mobile os available get a windows smartphone, it does nothing well.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know she wants to talk, text, and take pics. She uses the web when we are at auctions. That is the only reason she wants it. She likes to look up Ebay and other places for prices. That is why I know the web and the big screen is important. Thanks for the input guys.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magpul only makes cases for the iPhone. I think that should help make your decision a lot easier.

bettingpython said:
Also depending on where she surfs the web android 2.2 also supports flashplayer which apple does not do. That could be an important factor.

When mobile devices get fast enough to handle flashbloat, it will be a plus. Until then I don't think it matters too much.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magpul only makes cases for the iPhone. I think that should help make your decision a lot easier.

When mobile devices get fast enough to handle flashbloat, it will be a plus. Until then I don't think it matters too much.

Spoken like a true fruit fanatic. I like being able to watch a flash video without dragging my laptop out. I do 70 to 80% of my surfing with my phone now. The laptop is feeling lonely since I went android.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spoken like a true fruit fanatic. I like being able to watch a flash video without dragging my laptop out. I do 70 to 80% of my surfing with my phone now. The laptop is feeling lonely since I went android.

Conversely, since I don't care that much about surfing on my phone and only do it occasionally to look something up, I much prefer the iPhone. I actually had the HTC Thunderbolt for a few days. It was extremely fast and the screen seemed huge compared to the iPhone. But I've found that, in my old age, I want easy and familiar and that's why I returned it and got the iPhone 4 (I had an iPhone 3GS prior).

Despite my IT background, I've outgrown the 'tweaking' and lean more towards reliability. The Droid apps I bought seemed buggy or, in at least one case, were probably written for the iPhone and ported over, making the graphics look blurry when the screen size was increased.

It's much like a Ford/Chevy or Coke/Pepsi thing. There's things to like about both, but after exposure to both, you'll wind up sticking to one side.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite my IT background, I've outgrown the 'tweaking' and lean more towards reliability. The Droid apps I bought seemed buggy or, in at least one case, were probably written for the iPhone and ported over, making the graphics look blurry when the screen size was increased.

I also grew out of this for machines that I use for day-to-day tasks. I need to pay my power bill online TODAY and not have to worry about fixing xorg.conf first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom