Smart phone question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have an Atrix and love it. I'm a huge fan of the Android platform now as well. With that said, it sounds like she would really like the iPhone. Good luck with the whole iTunes thing. I think the devil wrote that program and I absolutely cannot stand it. Oh yeah, and he just loves to update iTunes on an almost weekly basis so make sure to set aside time to redownload the latest version rather frequently. Oh, and make sure you agree to the new license agreements and read it over thoroughly because it changes with each update! :D

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get her the iPhone. If she just wants something that works well and is easy to use, it's a no-brainer. It's got the best screen on the market (whoever said the Super AmoLED is as good is smoking crack), it has one of the best cameras on the market (don't fall for the megapixel fallacy), and you don't have to worry about buggy or, worse, virus-laden apps which is a problem with the Android Marketplace. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12633923

I didn't know Steve Jobs posted here!! Hi Steve!!!! :Heya:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is correct, it is not AS good, it is drastically superior... Have had both and there is no comparison.

Talk about drinking the koolaid. The iPhone 4 has better resolution. I can see pixels on the other displays. I've looked at them. The iPhone is clearly sharper. There are numerous technical posts and articles about it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what would help me the most is if people could just tell me the good and bad on the ones they have now. + this will help keep this from being one more butthurt thread. Thanks guys.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I switched from a Blackberry 9000 to a Motorola Atrix. Best Buy did a $99 price match against what Amazon Wireless was offering. I can not believe the horsepower in this phone! The change from keypad to touchpad typing was not as bad as I was prepared for. I was leaning toward getting a Android based phone simply becuase of the volume of applications in the market. RIM had really lost its appeal to smartphone app developers. iPhone had the marketshare on applications, but Android apps are really coming out in numbers now.

I mainly use my phone for texting, surfing and limited calling.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Talk about drinking the koolaid. The iPhone 4 has better resolution. I can see pixels on the other displays. I've looked at them. The iPhone is clearly sharper. There are numerous technical posts and articles about it.

And the iPhone screen is smaller. I don't know much about the resolution of the Atrix screen but it is pretty awesome and bigger. I mean, I'd take the bigger screen over a slightly "crisper" screen, honestly.

Resolution ain't everything.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think what would help me the most is if people could just tell me the good and bad on the ones they have now. + this will help keep this from being one more butthurt thread. Thanks guys.

For a first smart phone, I'd recommend her the iPhone even though I'm not a fan. It'll do everything she wants and will have a shorter learning curve.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And the iPhone screen is smaller. I don't know much about the resolution of the Atrix screen but it is pretty awesome and bigger. I mean, I'd take the bigger screen over a slightly "crisper" screen, honestly.

Resolution ain't everything.

It is definitely smaller, but I am a fan of the sharp resolution. My son has a Galaxy S and he put one of those goofy matte screen protectors on it and I think it totally diminishes the point of having a nice display like the Galaxy touts.

Even though I didn't care for the Thunderbolt, I was curious about the Atrix, since it has gotten great reviews on a lot of sites. Maybe if I had gone with the Motorola, I'd still have it. Don't know.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a first smart phone, I'd recommend her the iPhone even though I'm not a fan. It'll do everything she wants and will have a shorter learning curve.

I would still recommend an android, you don't have to have iTunes on anything to manage your phone, all you need is a gmail account to manage all your contacts and back them all up to googles cloud storage with just a short and limited amount of setup. Need a new phone 1000 miles from home no problem get the replacement and put your google account in and poof there's your contacts, no need to sync with a PC. The learning curve is no greater than the iPhone especially if she gets a stock one and doesn't tweak it. If you have a work email with exchange server short of outlook mobile on windows mobile the androids baked in exchange support is perfect(and I actually think better and more fault tolerant than outlook mobile. I don't want to remember how much time I spent fixing my wifes email after her employers server would hiccup or her mailbox would get full) and I like the client better than outlook mobile. As far as virus' and buggy apps the first one is blown out of proportion, iOS has virus vulnerabilities and virus' in the wild as well. They are both easily fixed don't enable non market app and don't sideload apps and if you don't like it uninstall it report the bugs and move on, there are probbaly 3 other apps that do the same thing that will work. The android developer community is very responsive.

They also make crystal clear lense covers for the galaxys phones, I have one on mine and it did not reduce the image quality. Anyone with an iPhone that wants to do a side by side I have tron or avatar in a mobile friendly format we can load it up on both devices and I will show you the superior image quality of the Super AMOLED screen. Also the corning Gorilla glass used by Samsung and maybe motorola is far more shatter and scratch resistant than the display in the iphone.

If screen size, and web surfing are the key priorties the android beats the iPhone, There are multiple android browsers available as well if you don't like the stock browser.

Oh and lets not forget touch screen technology, the resistive touch screen on the high end androids is sensitive to fingers, fingernails and styluses and does not need recalibrated, unlike capacative screens.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No butthurt here. The iPhone is far from perfect.

iPhone: Pros: very user friendly, sharpest screen out there, great camera, less "buggy", apps for about anything, great battery life.
Cons: screen is smaller than some others, less customizable, a lot of apps cost $$$, have to use iTunes which totally sucks.

For someone less technically inclined, I would recommend the iPhone. Based on my experiences, I can't tell you how many people have told me how their phone is better than the iPhone then I ask them how and they can't even use it or navigate their menus to show me or they try to show me some feature or app that's "better than anything on the iPhone" but they can't get it to work or their phone locks up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom