Smoking the Thanksgiving Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have decided to try smoking a turkey this year for our Thanksgiving dinner and looking for advice.

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. It works great for port, ribs, chicken so I thought why not a Turkey.

Anyone smoke their turkey?

What's the best wood to use?

Any favorite recipes.

Any and all suggestions is appreciated.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did it. Very VERY good.

Actually best if you spatchcock it, it'll cook more evenly. If you can let the skin dry out for a day or two in the fridge, you're better off, it'll get crispier. Rub it down with a little oil or butter. I did mine on a bed of herbs which was nice. Inject with a brine, put a temp probe in the breast and the thighs.

Yummy yummy. I like it better than the deep fried birds.

<edit> And I use a pellet smoker, I think I used apple pellets, but honestly I think hickory would be good, I just wouldn't use mesquite on bird.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did it. Very VERY good.

Actually best if you spatchcock it, it'll cook more evenly. If you can let the skin dry out for a day or two in the fridge, you're better off, it'll get crispier. Rub it down with a little oil or butter. I did mine on a bed of herbs which was nice. Inject with a brine, put a temp probe in the breast and the thighs.

Yummy yummy. I like it better than the deep fried birds.

<edit> And I use a pellet smoker, I think I used apple pellets, but honestly I think hickory would be good, I just wouldn't use mesquite on bird.
She said SMOKE.
Reading comprehension is key.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apple is a good wood to use on poultry. Seems to have about the perfect intensity. tR is correct about the mesquite, it can get out of hand and quickly. Also spatchcocking it is a good route to go. With chicken and especially turkey you don't want to smoke them low and slow. Main reason is that at the low temp the thick part is in the danger temp zone longer and may be enough to let bacteria start growing. Second is that it'll probably be dry in a long cook. Spatchcocking it helps with this a lot. I spatchcock all my birds now as long as they fit in the BGE. I run mine at 300-325 degrees.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apple is a good wood to use on poultry. Seems to have about the perfect intensity. tR is correct about the mesquite, it can get out of hand and quickly. Also spatchcocking it is a good route to go. With chicken and especially turkey you don't want to smoke them low and slow. Main reason is that at the low temp the thick part is in the danger temp zone longer and may be enough to let bacteria start growing. Second is that it'll probably be dry in a long cook. Spatchcocking it helps with this a lot. I spatchcock all my birds now as long as they fit in the BGE. I run mine at 300-325 degrees.

Correct, I forgot to mention temp. Yes, I do 325-350, and this helps crisp your skin up, as well. But again, it helps a lot if you can let the skin air dry out in the fridge for a day or two beforehand.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I haven't ever smoked a turkey but a contractor of mine gives me some expensive ones of out Texas each year. They are presmoked. They taste great just know it changes the color of the meat. At least the ones he gives me are a pink color but are fully cooked and delicious.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck on your journey. I smoked our turkeys for Thanksgiving for years and years. Some good advice on here. Hickory would be good to start out with. You might use aluminum foil on the bottom of turkey. Always cook low and slow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom