Smoking the Thanksgiving Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to use a charcoal smoker to do turkeys (plural) and ham, but now I use an electric smoker.

12 hours usually isn't enough. 14-16hrs is better. With a water pan, there is no danger of drying out the meat.

I find the lighter fruitwoods work best with turkey, especially if there will be many people eating it. Apple, cherry, grapevine (if you can find it). When it's just the Missus and I, I use hickory.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We spatchcock ours on the smoker also. Takes a lot less time and smokes evenly. I also, along with all the spices, put a half slab of bacon under the skin on each breast side. A trick I learned from a friend from England in order to keep the breast meat moist....and flavorful.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to use a charcoal smoker to do turkeys (plural) and ham, but now I use an electric smoker.

12 hours usually isn't enough. 14-16hrs is better. With a water pan, there is no danger of drying out the meat.

I find the lighter fruitwoods work best with turkey, especially if there will be many people eating it. Apple, cherry, grapevine (if you can find it). When it's just the Missus and I, I use hickory.
Meat only absorbs smoke for 4 hours, I just do 12 because I'm usually up late the night before drinking beer n watching a movie or playing cards with friends (thanksgiving holiday tradition) so I get up late, have coffee then go foil the bird and crank the heat up to 35 to finish it in an hour or. Perfect timing for a 3 o'clock diner.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We spatchcock ours on the smoker also. Takes a lot less time and smokes evenly. I also, along with all the spices, put a half slab of bacon under the skin on each breast side. A trick I learned from a friend from England in order to keep the breast meat moist....and flavorful.
I love this idea!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have a master built as well and smoke it til the temp in the breast reaches 120-125 then finish it in the oven. Crisps up nicely.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you that have a Masterbuilt smoker, I highly recommended adding this to your smoker. Just fill it with Pellets, use a torch or heatgun to light one corner, and walk away. Mine usually smokes for 4-6 hours, depending on how full it is. Perfect timing.

https://www.amazon.com/Smokin-Wedgi...ocphy=1024173&hvtargid=pla-309401156778&psc=1
That wedge looks like it takes up some room but I wonder if you can stand it up if you hold the lid tight doing to and stand it on the end?

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That wedge looks like it takes up some room but I wonder if you can stand it up if you hold the lid tight doing to and stand it on the end?

Its pretty small "in person". I just put it on the bottom rack of mine and let it do its thing. The only time it would really be in the way is if you were filling up the entire smoker. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow when i smoke some ribs.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its pretty small "in person". I just put it on the bottom rack of mine and let it do its thing. The only time it would really be in the way is if you were filling up the entire smoker. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow when i smoke some ribs.
My treager has only one rack...wish it was bigger but its done the job for 17 years and counting...

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have decided to try smoking a turkey this year for our Thanksgiving dinner and looking for advice.

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. It works great for port, ribs, chicken so I thought why not a Turkey.

Anyone smoke their turkey?

What's the best wood to use?

Any favorite recipes.

Any and all suggestions is appreciated.

Go talk with Darian at https://kosmosq.com/ Next to H&H or by it anyways. See what he has to offer!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom