Snake in the house!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that the country folk don't keep a hoe around for gardening, it's for snake defense. It was always my grandpa's weapon of choice when he found a legless home invader that needed to be disposed of. I've always had the 'get it outside and let it live' mindset, but I'm a softy for critters and I'm not scared of them. I don't think I'd kill one unless it was venomous, but I don't like killing anything more than a bug. I'm no eco-hippy, I was just always the kid that made everything a pet, not prey.

Actually she grabbed our "back hoe".

Standard hoe that you put some heat on the neck and turn it where the blade is inline with the handle. You push it through the garden just under the surface to shear off the weeds.
Use one one time, and you will wonder why somebody didn't do this before. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember one time my grandma found a snake in a closet. The next day grandpa was replacing the sheetrock from the shotgun blast. GRANNY DONT PLAY!!!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with a guy once that told a funny story one day. He'd just moved out into the country and, one day, saw a snake slithering into the house through the back door. His first instinct was a good one as he kicked the door shut and actually pinned the snake in the door crack. His second instinct was bad. He picked up a nearby shotgun and blasted the snake. The snake (harmless) was instantly killed. But, he also killed everything around the snake--a tile floor, sheetrock wall, door trim, some carpet and the door itself. He was just so worked up, he just had to shoot the thing. It cost him hundreds to get it all fixed.

This is a good reason for the pistol shot shells. Take it out with minimal damage to the surrounding area's, lol.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually she grabbed our "back hoe".

Standard hoe that you put some heat on the neck and turn it where the blade is inline with the handle. You push it through the garden just under the surface to shear off the weeds.
Use one one time, and you will wonder why somebody didn't do this before. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.
Humm, I guess we always called a back hoe a hoe then. Either way, they were always good for chopping snakes while I was growing up. I miss the country...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About twenty years ago, a friend of mine's wife was home when a snake came in. She grabbed the nearest thing (a piece of pipe) and promptly beat the snake to death. The "pipe" was my buddies new Mauser barrel, to go on his 98 action. Barrels bend, he found out.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom