Some of my favorite scents...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years, we have talked about everything under the stars here at OSA. Our favorite foods, our favorite movies, favorite songs, guns, dogs, cars, booze, soft drinks, blondes, redheads, yaddida, yaddida, yaddida. :blahblah:

BUT...

I don't recall anyone talking about some of their favorite smells.

Now, I'm not talking about the obvious scents out there...like steaks or fajitas on the grill, Hoppe's No. 9, Break Free CLP, the smell of napalm in the morning (thanks Lt. Col. Kilgore) fresh tooled leather and, of course, the elusive fish in the pantyhose that none of us can seem to find. :naughty:

No, I'm talking other scents that you don't smell everyday, but when you do, they either ignite your senses, bring back an old childhood memory or inspire you to write a blog such as this.

I decided to write this thread because of my 1 year old grandson. His mom and dad were at our house tonight having dinner with us. Because of certain conditions, my grandson needed a bath before they could go home. Upon their depature, I gave little man a hug and kiss and the aromatic scent of Baby Magic soap and lotion enlightened my senses. It was one of the best smells I have inhaled in a long, long time. It was awesome!

So because of that, here's a quick list of other scents that had my mind thinking back a few years to my youth...

When a cigar or cigarette is lit with a Zippo lighter.
The smell of a new car's interior.
The aroma of a brand new baseball mitt and then after a couple of seasons.
My dad's after shave; it was usually Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva or Old Spice.
Kahlua.
Coconut suntan lotion/oil.
The first time I smelled the future Mrs. GED's perfume.
Pine-Sol (yeah, I know :screwy:).
Hershey's chocolate.
The aroma of a baseball card shop.
A bleachy clean towel as I dry my face after a shower.
Original Polo cologne in the green bottle. I've worn it since I was 15 years old...over 35 years now.

That's just a few. I'm sure I could come up with some more.

What about you? What smells (besides the obvious ones we ALL enjoy) tickle your senses?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- My wife's perfume ("Youth Dew" by Estee Lauder).
- Soldering with rosin-core solder.
- Charcoal burning in a grill.
- A hint of wood smoke from a fire.
- Freshly mown grass.
- Vanilla.

Those are the first that come to mind. :drunk2:

EDIT: I'd have to agree with Dennis on barnyard smells and fresh turned dirt though.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool Mountain air, always threw me off in the best way in Washington when you’re on ground level and it’s 90 degrees in the summer and by the time you’re toward the top of Rainer it’s 65 and there’s snow on the ground. The smell that hits you when you open your car door is just bliss.

Motor Oil, yeah I know, weird
My seasoned leather jacket with the smell of leather and cologne from years past.
The first puff of 1Q

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- the first smell of burning leaves/wood on the first 'cool' day after summer
- GT85 (it's a bicycle thing) - think WD40
- fresh cut lumber
- fireworks
- a roast in the crockpot when you walk into the warm house on a cold day
- a christmas tree when you first bring it into the house.
- hot chex mix

Last edited:

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Camp Fire smoke (deer season is fast approaching)
Saw dust from a fresh cut tree.
I recent went to shaving with a safety razor and old shaving soap man that smell brought back some childhood memories.
Well rousted coffee
Smell after a good rain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom