Steak........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone explain the long "dry aged" stuff? I guess I don't get what they mean by that.

Actually, dry aged steaks used to be the standard before grocery stores started focusing on cutting, wrapping in plastic and tossing steaks out into a cooler for 24 hour access.

Basically, the dry aged process lets meat age in a open air, cooled environment vs being cut up and wrapped in plastic. The meat is set out in a cooler that keeps at solid 40 degrees. As the meat ages, the enzymes will start breaking down the tissues in the meat. A growth will start on portions of the meat that is exposed to air. Dry aged causes loss in meat becuase you have to trim away the portions that have the growth and discoloration. I cant remember the percentage of loss per pound. So after about 20-25 days, you meat that is incredibly tender and full of flavor.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother is an executive chef at one of Atlanta's top country clubs, I've heard the horror stories of what goes on in kitchen. He's been working as a chef for over 20yrs now, he said not much has changed.

OKAY...

Ya just can't go down that road without providing details...

Latest posts

Top Bottom